Cork u20 Hurling team 2022

This championship starts now. They were poor last night but a win and loss would leave them in the same place. With Hogan in from the start and a few small tweaks they wont be far off anyone. Before being overly critical of both players and management, would we have won the last two AI without our two best players? Three games to win an AI from here. Its not beyond them.
Agree with a lot of this. I’m not sure the coaching is as bad as some suggest but they were definitely a lot more effective around opposition’s puck-outs last year. It gave them the platform to build proper momentum when they needed it. This could be partially down to some of the missing personnel though, as you highlight. Flynn was one the keys to upsetting Limerick’s puck-outs last year, and Joyce cleaned up on the breaks. Flynn sat in front of the space that O’Neill was running into.

I watched back the game and there were 30/40 metres of empty space in front of the Limerick half-forward line at times. Coupled with the Limerick keeper’s accurate puck-outs, it meant that the Cork half-back line were rarely able to properly compete or upset the Limerick puck-outs. The half-forward line and midfield have to do better at dropping back and covering the space. On rewatching it I thought Sean Walsh had a really good impact from the bench. He did a good job of covering that space when he came on. I think Diarmuid Healy also played a lot better than he’s been given credit for here. He made 2 or 3 average decisions in possession but he was one of the few players able to come out of those rucks with possession.

The current team at the moment has too many young lads playing.
Some of these are probably not 18 yet and will be playing against lads who are going to be playing senior inter County hurling shortly.

The physical gap is just too big.
A clear example is young Healy who is going to be a serious hurler but at the moment struggles with the physicality of under 20.

I would love to see how Ben O Connor would cope as he was a monster at minor level last year.

Last night was very disappointing. It's my third time seeing this team and they gave another performance below their capabilities. Only Eoin Downey and Brian O'Sullivan can be very happy with their displays.

Cork lost so much of the rucks. I started counting from half time how many rucks we would win and I counted 2. Limerick won at least 10 or 11. That's simply not good enough. Our presence on the breaking ball was also very poor. Any long puckout from Saunderson or Hanley usually resulted in more Limerick bodies around the break. We're not as big as Limerick but Jesus we have enough to be fighting with them.

Some of the in-game management was poor. I thought there was no need to take off Lyons. He wasn't having his most assertive game but there were a few other players that should have been taken off before him - it wasn't a clever move I felt for the lad's confidence but I'm sure he'll bounce back. Up front, Diarmuid Healy looked nervous. He's absolutely not a natural inside forward though, he's at home on the half forward line. Again, I'm not worried about him, he's an outstanding prospect. Surely Jack Leahy should have been brought on earlier? He should be getting more time on this team IMO.

Does anybody know if Flynn will be back for the Tipp game next week? He's an enormous loss. Terrific skill but a hardy boy. It's guys like him we were missing last night. Hogan looked very dangerous when he came on, another player who will make a difference.

I can't see Ben O'Connor playing any part in this championship. If he wasn't playing in a bit of a dead rubber last night I can't see him being sprung in for a Munster semi-final but Christ I'd love to be proven wrong.

I doubt it will happen given what Kingston did with Alan Connolly last year but I would love to see Daire O'Leary playing against Tipperary. He needs a game into him anyway, and if he's fit he should be playing. Zero reason for him not to be playing.

All things considered, I'm really hoping for an improvement going forward. This team should beat Tipperary.

My team for next week:
Saunderson
O'Sullivan O'Leary Lyons
Downey Twomey Mullins
O'Sullivan Keating
Walsh Cunningham Horgan
Leahy Hogan Cahalane

Flynn and O'Connor would start ideally but I doubt either will be ready.

This championship starts now. They were poor last night but a win and loss would leave them in the same place. With Hogan in from the start and a few small tweaks they wont be far off anyone. Before being overly critical of both players and management, would we have won the last two AI without our two best players? Three games to win an AI from here. Its not beyond them.
We did ya tool 😀

Last night was very disappointing. It's my third time seeing this team and they gave another performance below their capabilities. Only Eoin Downey and Brian O'Sullivan can be very happy with their displays.

Cork lost so much of the rucks. I started counting from half time how many rucks we would win and I counted 2. Limerick won at least 10 or 11. That's simply not good enough. Our presence on the breaking ball was also very poor. Any long puckout from Saunderson or Hanley usually resulted in more Limerick bodies around the break. We're not as big as Limerick but Jesus we have enough to be fighting with them.

Some of the in-game management was poor. I thought there was no need to take off Lyons. He wasn't having his most assertive game but there were a few other players that should have been taken off before him - it wasn't a clever move I felt for the lad's confidence but I'm sure he'll bounce back. Up front, Diarmuid Healy looked nervous. He's absolutely not a natural inside forward though, he's at home on the half forward line. Again, I'm not worried about him, he's an outstanding prospect. Surely Jack Leahy should have been brought on earlier? He should be getting more time on this team IMO.

Does anybody know if Flynn will be back for the Tipp game next week? He's an enormous loss. Terrific skill but a hardy boy. It's guys like him we were missing last night. Hogan looked very dangerous when he came on, another player who will make a difference.

I can't see Ben O'Connor playing any part in this championship. If he wasn't playing in a bit of a dead rubber last night I can't see him being sprung in for a Munster semi-final but Christ I'd love to be proven wrong.

I doubt it will happen given what Kingston did with Alan Connolly last year but I would love to see Daire O'Leary playing against Tipperary. He needs a game into him anyway, and if he's fit he should be playing. Zero reason for him not to be playing.

All things considered, I'm really hoping for an improvement going forward. This team should beat Tipperary.

My team for next week:
Saunderson
O'Sullivan O'Leary Lyons
Downey Twomey Mullins
O'Sullivan Keating
Walsh Cunningham Horgan
Leahy Hogan Cahalane

Flynn and O'Connor would start ideally but I doubt either will be ready.
Ben wasn’t even on the bench last night which was mind boggling, he could have got 15-20 minutes championship hurling to help get him back up to speed. Even though he’s only 18 this team needs him

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Irish & Cork History - Cork.Undressed
The Roundy, Castle St.

2nd Sep 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

I Saw The Tv Glow (15A)

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 6pm

More events ▼