Budget 2023

On the face of it you have a point there, and I couldn’t give a shite about racing horses or dogs so it seems the obvious choice to just take that money and stick it into health.. but there’s always more to it than that. I googled what the horse racing industry was worth to Ireland in 2022 and apparently it was 2.5bn and 30,000 jobs. Apparently greyhound racing was worth 300m so combined you have the guts of 3bn out for a contribution of 95m, plus something like 35,000 jobs. Seems a decent call to me

Stick 95m into health and absolutely nothing would change since they run at a deficit of approx 1.5-2bn per year anyway

On the face of it you have a point there, and I couldn’t give a shite about racing horses or dogs so it seems the obvious choice to just take that money and stick it into health.. but there’s always more to it than that. I googled what the horse racing industry was worth to Ireland in 2022 and apparently it was 2.5bn and 30,000 jobs. Apparently greyhound racing was worth 300m so combined you have the guts of 3bn out for a contribution of 95m, plus something like 35,000 jobs. Seems a decent call to me
The returns to the economy and employment make it a no brainer. Afaik the betting levy tax also funds some of the investment from the government

PJ playing the divide various groups card and create debate, reading messages form people who say they work hard
pay loads of taxes and barely survive, while the neighbours who never work are just back from euro disney,
Explain to me how that could happen?

These people who work hard and barely survive?
I presume it's minimum wage, 1 family member working, high rent taking most of the money etc. That I can get.

How is someone on welfare going to Euro Disney? Probably cost about 2 grand all in.

I presume it's minimum wage, 1 family member working, high rent taking most of the money etc. That I can get.

How is someone on welfare going to Euro Disney? Probably cost about 2 grand all in.
These " messages" PJ and neil get are thrown out there to stir anger and debate, We all hear the stories of the couple who have never worked a day in their lives but have three foreign holidays a year and have two big cars,

Spot on.
It's absolute nonsense. Do these people on welfare go to Euro Disney every year or is it their first holiday ever?
Welfare is €200 a week max isn't it?
Don't you have to tell Welfare officers when you're going on holiday and where?

These " messages" PJ and neil get are thrown out there to stir anger and debate, We all hear the stories of the couple who have never worked a day in their lives but have three foreign holidays a year and have two big cars,
The "messages" are from their researchers. All about divide and get people pointing fingers at each other instead of at those in power.
Classic Tory antics.
If the people who are working know people on Welfare going to Euro Disney why don't they quit their jobs and do what these people do? If it's so easy to navigate the system and live the high life.

Ciara Kelly had Rose conway walsh on yesterday, She asked her had SF any complaints re the budget ?
Rose went straight on about housing, Ciara said when she looked at SF alternative budget the govt pledged more money,
On to health Rose said SF would have invested an extra 1. 3 billion more than govt, Ciara asked if so what sector would lose out
if that money was allocated ? Rose got very agitated " Will you let me speak Ciara"

Ciara Kelly had Rose conway walsh on yesterday, She asked her had SF any complaints re the budget ?
Rose went straight on about housing, Ciara said when she looked at SF alternative budget the govt pledged more money,
On to health Rose said SF would have invested an extra 1. 3 billion more than govt, Ciara asked if so what sector would lose out
if that money was allocated ? Rose got very agitated " Will you let me speak Ciara"
Sounds like Mary Loud with Dobo last week. Use phrases like "don't shout down the phone at me ..." to run down the clock.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Thursday Showcase
The Roundy, Castle St.

15th Aug 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..
More events ▼