Tidal pool in Cork

I can understand that given her experience today. All beaches can be dangerous under certain circumstances. Despite the tragic events of today i would still say ballycronin is a safe swimming spot. As is Inch and ballybranegan. But i grew up swimming there. i have never swam over in Rocky bay/roberts cover so would be much more reluctant to go there. The only beach in cork i wouldn't go near is longstrand/castlefreake that really is dodgy but it's so dodgy you know about it when you're up to your ankles

I'm curious so people know to always swim across a rip? If youre caught swim parallel to the shore and you'll clear it. If you try and fight it you'll get tired. Is this widely known?
I swim there regularly. I wouldn’t class it dangerous. I was there today around 4pm with my son and knew nothing of it until my wife told me. It’s absolutely heartbreaking.
RIP

The safest East Cork beaches are Garryvoe and Claycastle because they have life guards on duty, the others are where local knowledge is so important, Inch and Ballycronin are not safe beaches unless you are very familiar with them and know what to do if you get caught in a rip.

Wave, yell and swim parallel!!

Watch out for areas on beach where waves aren't breaking and avoid!

RipCurrentweb.jpg

That time of year unfortunately - we're going to see plenty more.

Had a nice dip in Myrtleville last night - chilly, but wasn't long warming up once in - some difference in the water temperature between there and Inniscarra lake where I've been in a few times lately.

Forgot how much fun sea-swimming is - dealing with swells etc is tremendous fun and the last 300m into the beach with the tide pushing behind me felt lovely and fast.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
King K
Clancys, 15-16 Princes St.

3rd May 2024 @ 10pm
More info..

Curtin // Keating: Sit Stand Smoke

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼