2023 Premier Junior hurling

It is what it is and people read too much into it every year.

Kilkenny’s structure is fine, just them and Kerry have exceptionally strong clubs beyond senior and leads to them dominating these levels for the most part every year, they’ve done nothing wrong really but they will predictably continue to dominate and win these grades.

At the same time, no need for Cork to go changing how it sends teams out to Munster also, Cork has a massive amount of clubs relative to the rest of the country and Cork clubs already dominate the intermediate and junior hurling in Munster (having comfortably more titles than the other 5 counties combined).

Cork changing it’s grades to send stronger teams out than Castlelyons and Catherine’s would probably make a mockery of the Munster championships (though would also lead to more competitive games with Kerry and Kilkenny sides).

Ultimately, having competitive club championships within the county is much more important than teams going on All Ireland runs, and I think we’re seeing that more and more every year.

The provincials are a nice bonus if you get there, but not the be all and end all, telling us very little at the end of the day.

They won Munster handy. The cork grades are fine, it’s Kilkenny who make it unfair
I disagree. In my opinon the Kilkenny grades are fine and it's Cork who make it unfair.

Realistically today Newcestown should have being playing Thomastown and Castlelyons playing Tullogher but we are playing with words in naming our competitions.

Now we all either accept that going forward our 5th tier champions will be playing in the 3rd tier All Ireland championship and our 3rd tier champions in the 2cd tier All Ireland championship and as a result beatings like today are possible or we simply name our competitions correctly.

Both teams thoroughly outclassed today. Hugh gulf in standard, particularly in physical strength and aerial ability.

I disagree. In my opinon the Kilkenny grades are fine and it's Cork who make it unfair.

Realistically today Newcestown should have being playing Thomastown and Castlelyons playing Tullogher but we are playing with words in naming our competitions.

Now we all either accept that going forward our 5th tier champions will be playing in the 3rd tier All Ireland championship and our 3rd tier champions in the 2cd tier All Ireland championship and as a result beatings like today are possible or we simply name our competitions correctly.

Both teams thoroughly outclassed today. Hugh gulf in standard, particularly in physical strength and aerial ability.
If Castlelyons were playing in the junior grade it would make a mockery of the Munster, which is already fairly imbalanced.

If Castlelyons were playing in the junior grade it would make a mockery of the Munster, which is already fairly imbalanced.
That wouldn't be Corks problem.

Tullogher are no more a Jr team then Castlelyons or Ballinhassig or Kilworth are. Does the Kilkenny Jr champions involvement in the Leinster championship make a mockery of that competition?

Personally don't have any issue with the current system in Cork but its set up to fail more often then not when pitted against Kerry teams in football and Kilkenny teams in hurling.

The fact that Catherine's aren't even county champions probably exacerbated the gulf in class on show in the Jr final.

That wouldn't be Corks problem.

Tullogher are no more a Jr team then Castlelyons or Ballinhassig or Kilworth are. Does the Kilkenny Jr champions involvement in the Leinster championship make a mockery of that competition?

Personally don't have any issue with the current system in Cork but its set up to fail more often then not when pitted against Kerry teams in football and Kilkenny teams in hurling.

The fact that Catherine's aren't even county champions probably exacerbated the gulf in class on show in the Jr final.
I don’t have any real hard feelings as I view these as meaningless games in the grand scheme of things.

Kilkenny are fine sending their teams as is, but the Leinster club championships are being made of a mockery of at the lower levels for the most part realistically.

Tullogher hit 11-44 in their first 2 games alone in Leinster, the only team to get within 10 points of them was a team from Wexford (who themselves put 7-25 up in their previous game). Ridiculously uncompetitive.

Same goes for Thomastown, not one team got within 10 of them in the Leinster and All Ireland series, I saw them play Setanta from Donegal in the semi final, farcical stuff, 6-26 they scored and they barely looked like they tried at times, could have had 15 goals if they wanted.

Like I said, the club championships at provincial level are nice to win, but ultimately mean very little if you don’t. People read far too much into them every year.

Absolute nonsense, KK have 12 teams playing senior grade for over 50 years, you think they should have renamed their top intermediate grade Senior A just because the CCB did?
The CCB created the unfairness not KK because they didn't have the balls to name the Senior A championship as to what it actually is, Prem intermediate.

I know is the Junior thread but the premise follows down the grades.
100%, the ccb could get rid of all other grades and have 16 team Senior and 16 teams Intermediate and put everyone else down Junior. People forgetting Cork has 5 times the population of Kk, wait for the replies they don't play any other sports in Kk

The idea that Cork should reorganise our competitions to help clubs win junior and intermediate All Irelands is farcical. The CCB should organise their own competitions for the betterment of the Cork championships and Cork hurling/football in general.

The process has started and will continue to evolve over the next few years imo.

The sheer amount of clubs in Cork make it necessary to have so many grades. Leaving 70% of the clubs down "junior" would just a very backwards move. The standard would be all over the place.

We're talking about 2 teams who had great runs to finals here...they weren't also rans by any means.

Cork clubs have won these competitions before and they will win them again. A complete non issue imo.

The problem too is you're not starting with like for like.
Kilkenny geographically is only a fraction of Cork with a fraction of the clubs. So very hard then to have same systems in place.
I think we have good championships in Cork so I'd be slow to change anything.
I think it's just a bit annoying that you almost knew the results last night in both games before a ball was even pucked

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Low-key Funny
The Roundy, Castle St.

25th Sep 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

Cork Voices Of The Irish Revolution

St. Peters Cork, Today @ 10am

More events ▼