Pubs reopening June 29th

Why not?

A pub is a business, the same as every other business. The market and peoples feet will decide if they will pay that extra 40c or not. If people (tourists) wont they will quickly realise their mistake.. if they did, then happy days for the owner

The pub in Temple Bar will have cost multiples the pub at Store St did

They're a business and they can do what they want, but it is pure greed and nothing less.

I read an article recently which said that the most expensive pubs in Dublin are still the busiest. The Temple Bar and Oliver St John Gogarty will always be busy regardless of their prices. They're ideal for yanks and Brits who just want Paddywhackery injected into their veins.

I couldn't give a fuck what they charge as it makes no difference to my life. But when you see fairly normal pubs in Store Street charging nearly €7 a pint, that makes me sad.

I was in my Dublin local yesterday for a pint. Hadn't been there in around a month so got some shock when they asked for €6.70 for a Guinness. This is a fairly inauspicious, working class pub in a shit part of Dublin (North side, near Busaras), so that price came as some shock.

The owner is a lovely man called Sean from Thurles, and he was very open about the challenges. He doesn't want to be charging those prices and said that people are either drinking less or else just not coming in at all. His pub used do a massive midweek after work trade, but he said that never came back after Covid, and things like an extra 20 pence on a pint are just making things worse.

He named one pub in Temple Bar which put 40c on EVERY draft product when Diageo announced their increase. Not only is 40c taking the piss, why increase the price of pints that they're still buying for the same price?
And won't that increase again in June when heineken inflict their gouging?? 🤔

That's grand so, next time I get paid I won't bother with paying rent or buying groceries, I'll just go and have 161 pints instead
Exactly ,people should focus on how they are being robbed by rent ,bad transport ,insurance ,bad public policy ,bad management of our public institutions,rip off subscriptions and all the rest ,the pint is a discretionary item ,yet we externalise on to it . I had it that the pint was 23 % cheaper in real terms today but the 161 pints is staggering ,

They're a business and they can do what they want, but it is pure greed and nothing less.

I read an article recently which said that the most expensive pubs in Dublin are still the busiest. The Temple Bar and Oliver St John Gogarty will always be busy regardless of their prices. They're ideal for yanks and Brits who just want Paddywhackery injected into their veins.

I couldn't give a fuck what they charge as it makes no difference to my life. But when you see fairly normal pubs in Store Street charging nearly €7 a pint, that makes me sad.

Since when is being greedy in business a bad thing? Its business, every business charges the maximum that they think people will pay for their service/product, pubs are no different.

I passed Temple Bar last Saturday.. there was full on madness pouring out the doors of one of the big pubs there at 4pm, the whole place roaring out Sweet Caroline like it was midnight... pints were probably €7-8 in there. I wouldn't have gone in if the pints were free, but more luck to them if they can relieve eejits of their hard earned that way

Last edited:
EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Open Streets: Boolaboom Busking
Cornmarket Centre, Cornmarket St.

19th May 2024 @ 1:00 pm
More info..

A Matter Of Time

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼