The Inflation Thread.

Apart from rates to the council, energy costs, rent, employee wages, insurance, cleaning and maintenance costs you are right of course.

Hey if you are happy to pay 7euro for tea and toast all power to you. I'm sure the establishment that charged will be more than happy with your contribution to their maintenance costs.

I'm inclined to think however that if a Cafe or Restaurant is relying on the inflated margin they are making on basic goods like tea and toast then they obviously aren't selling enough of what they should be ie. prepared meals.

I applaud your charity though, but personally I'll be keeping my 7euro.

Hey if you are happy to pay 7euro for tea and toast all power to you. I'm sure the establishment that charged will be more than happy with your contribution to their maintenance costs.

I'm inclined to think however that if a Cafe or Restaurant is relying on the inflated margin they are making on basic goods like tea and toast then they obviously aren't selling enough of what they should be ie. prepared meals.

I applaud your charity though, but personally I'll be keeping my 7euro.
Of course no one is forcing you to enter any premises who despite what you think are not really out to fleece you but just trying to remain in business with tight margins and high overheads and also make a living and provide employment.

Some businesses will always try to fleece you but fock them.

There is plenty of value to be had out there with great local cafes all over the city.

Of course no one is forcing you to enter any premises who despite what you think are not really out to fleece you but just trying to remain in business with tight margins and high overheads and also make a living and provide employment.

Some businesses will always try to fleece you
but fock them.

There is plenty of value to be had out there with great local cafes all over the city.
giphy.gif

No doubt there are some people struggling at the moment especially smaller business. With that said there are people taking advantage and taking the “sur everything is going up” approach… Name and shame….

Diageo.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news...-of-guinness-again-next-month/a873508294.html
Sky https://m.independent.ie/business/p...ustomers-with-new-price-hike/a1563436969.html

My wife asked for an extra slice of toast in Johnno’s in douglas. They said she would have to get a portion of two slices

€4 for two slices of toast. FFS….
He's a horrible cunt that fella! Don't get me started on him

Some businesses will always try to fleece you but fock them.

Agreed but the point I'm making is that while most people are happy to pay good money for good food, NOBODY likes the feeling of being fleeced.
I, like King_y (and I imagine many other people) would make a conscious decision to not go back to a restaurant or cafe or whatever had we the feeling of having been fleeced just like we wouldn't go back if the food was bad or the service was s**t.

As I said, people aren't stupid, if a business is going to ignore this fact and continue to charge ridiculous prices for basic, non prep items, then they have no one to blame but themselves if they have to shut up shop.

When a restaurant that sold s**t food closes, it's not really the "overheads" fault is it?
The same applies if the prices are s**t.

Fucking vets! Anyone seen the price of vet bills lately?

My dog was getting sick alot a few weeks ago, I gave it a few hours hoping it would come right on it's own as was the case previously but alas she kept puking.

I put her into the car, brought her to the vet who were very nice tbf, gave her a quick shot to stop her getting sick and we were out the door in no more than 10mins, 140 euro!! Double the cost of a doctor ffs.

Wait until they discover the price of shutting their doors because they have no customers left.

Any time I get fleeced by a business I make it my business to never go back there and go out of my way if necessary to take my custom elsewhere.
I'm sure I'm not alone.
Live by the sword, die by the sword.

Went for a pint with a couple of pals down to JohnO's around the time of Covid. The place was busy enough but there were clearly a couple of empty tables out the back. When we said all we wanted was a couple of pints and no food he asked if we'd made reservations. He made such a big song and dance about it and told us he might be able to squeeze us in in about 20 minutes we said thanks but no thanks. We haven't darkened the door of the place since.

Agreed but the point I'm making is that while most people are happy to pay good money for good food, NOBODY likes the feeling of being fleeced.
I, like King_y (and I imagine many other people) would make a conscious decision to not go back to a restaurant or cafe or whatever had we the feeling of having been fleeced just like we wouldn't go back if the food was bad or the service was s**t.

As I said, people aren't stupid, if a business is going to ignore this fact and continue to charge ridiculous prices for basic, non prep items, then they have no one to blame but themselves if they have to shut up shop.

When a restaurant that sold s**t food closes, it's not really the "overheads" fault is it?
The same applies if the prices are s**t.
The law of supply and demand and the good ones build up a long-standing custom and thrive.

A lot of people think that they can get into the business as they "like" coffee or food and they end up closing after about only 6 months as they cannot manage all the overheads or even know their customer.

No point selling sushi rolls, quesadillas with chilli flakes and gazpacho soup when the majority of the locals just want a bowl of leek and potato soup and a scone or a sausage roll after a morning playing bridge.

Always with a daft "twist" on the basics or going down some rabbit hole of the latest food trends.

If your food is not great then you are in trouble anyway.

Went for a pint with a couple of pals down to JohnO's around the time of Covid. The place was busy enough but there were clearly a couple of empty tables out the back. When we said all we wanted was a couple of pints and no food he asked if we'd made reservations. He made such a big song and dance about it and told us he might be able to squeeze us in in about 20 minutes we said thanks but no thanks. We haven't darkened the door of the place since.
You will get the best pints where there is no food being served anyway.

Fock them as you cannot relax anyway if they insist on shoving a menu in your face every 10 minutes and all you can smell is the food being served.

Fucking vets! Anyone seen the price of vet bills lately?

My dog was getting sick alot a few weeks ago, I gave it a few hours hoping it would come right on it's own as was the case previously but alas she kept puking.

I put her into the car, brought her to the vet who were very nice tbf, gave her a quick shot to stop her getting sick and we were out the door in no more than 10mins, 140 euro!! Double the cost of a doctor ffs.
Vets know how attached people are to their pets and know they can bump up the price,

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Award Winning Terry Alderton and Guests
City Limits, Coburg St.

4th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

A Matter Of Time

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼