Cheltenham Martyrs...

? Sure Tis my bread and butter ,I’ve being doing it every day for god knows ,so I’m not quite sure what your rant is about ,
I agree ,there are racing pubs and there are racing pubs ,I delighted to run a handy few ,
Don’t go chasing now
All my point was was someone told me the Sin É was a racing pub, years ago, and I was well familiar with the bumper and the madness of various "Ladies' Days." Wanting a rest from The Welcome I toddled in one lunchtime and asked them if they the racing was on the tellies. They said nothing was listed on RTÉ. I still had a pint of Mi Daza, coz, sure, I was thirsty after my walk and felt like supporting a local brewery (although I'll revert to both Beamish and/or Murphy's if I'm back in the future. Mi Daza just isn't right for me, despite choosing it for moral reasons for years and giving it a fair try I'm not gone on the taste; personal preference, no slight intended. The Handsum is decent and there's been some good limited bres) Then I went to the The Welcome, somewhere I knew they had the channels, whereupon I met a lovely fella who was down a few hundred but still having the time of his life, and we drank, and chatted and watched the races. I dunno about the few hundred but he did look to be enjoying himself. I enjoyed myself too.

I was talking to the Mammy and, like I said, she'd go into Canty's for lunch for years and said the racing during Cheltenham was brilliant in there. Over the last few years the friends she'd have in the office who'd go for lunch with her there during "The Festival" and at other times have retired so she doesn't bother any more. If Canty's had Racing TV, because I'd watch a meet some random day I have free time, rather than looking to the festivals, I'd be tempted to wander in, if I was welcome. A physical bookies nearby is a testatment to it; I don't like the apps. As were the couple of exhibitions I've been to in there.

Unfortunately, it seems, and maybe I wasn't clear on this, it isn't sustainable to run a racing pub in the city centre anymore. Not what I know as racing pubs. And not what I'd view as racing pubs. As you rightly point out "there are racing pubs and there are racing pubs" which was my point, so saying I was ranting when you seem to agree with me is a bit petty. If you're just showing the big festivals that's alright, there's places I can go in the villages and towns that cater to me and racing. Ones that don't have the costs associated with a city centre business (which has put me off drinking in the city.) Equally, in such a big bar as Canty's I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable leaving all my coat, etc. and my pint behind while I run out to a Boyle's (like in other bars I go to) or Paddy Power, or All Bar One. Maybe my view would change if I went in there?

A fantastic gesture

It's not hard to see why the Cork Heritage Pubs are the first port of call for real racing enthusiasts.

I look forward to spending my Gold Cup winnings in Cantys with my work colleagues later this afternoon. 🏆🍻
Then we have the winners parade where each winner visits the other racing pubs with the trophies ,Jesus we have more trophies than Willie Mullins

Sin É is undoubtedly a racing pub, you go in there any day of the week and there'll be auld lads with the newspapers out following the racing on TV

Artys would be another one, as would Cantys which is aided by its proximity to Paddy Power and Crane Lane, where you can spend your winnings
Been in the Sin É plenty of times during the daylight and never once saw racing on the telly. So either you're working up credits for another few quarts or the Sin É has a runner watching out for me who quickly darts inside the door when I turn over from Bridge St. and says, "The wan who'll be roaring if her €2.50 e/w comes in is coming. Put on the news!"

Also been in the Sin É a few times after a successful day, but before the bumper (who in their right mind bets on a bumper blind, that's like betting on a Point to Point) and not once did they have a bumper on, despite me being well situated for the off time.

And either I was banned for about 40 minutes or the site goes down with the influx of gawkers.

Nah the site was down.

Question here. If I put €10 on yer man who is 11/10 in the Gold Cup, and the return is €19, is that including my €10?

So ultimately I win €9?

Seems like a good deal for a horse who everyone says is a runaway favorite.

Nah the site was down.

Question here. If I put €10 on yer man who is 11/10 in the Gold Cup, and the return is €19, is that including my €10?

So ultimately I win €9?

Seems like a good deal for a horse who everyone says is a runaway favorite.
You do. But don't count on it for taxi money because come 9.55pm you'll have convinced yourself your due €90.

It'd be €21 tho.

You are looking at 400 to 600 a week for the package ,it’s a huge cost but worth it , We have the full package in most places incl the cursed racing tv ,we don’t have that channel in sin e you are right on that and let’s agree to differ on what makes a racing pub , Thanks for the custom though and please stroll up again ,4 more races to go

You do. But don't count on it for taxi money because come 9.55pm you'll have convinced yourself your due €90.

It'd be €21 tho.

I'd be tempted if there was a bookies nearby but I'm not going down the road of downloading an app, that'd be dangerous territory for me.

A certain pub that no longer exists under the name it used to operate under would have a fella at the end of the bar with a laptop taking bets.

That'd be the ideal scenario for me. Few drinks and a non committal little flutter in the Gold Cup.

If I had a tenner in my account I'd have a little punt on the Mullins' horse. But that's why I was at best a small loser.;

edit: second mullins horse8 to be clear

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
One Night In Nashville
Cyprus Avenue, Caroline St.

6th Dec 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

The Insiders

Cantys, Today @ 9pm

More events ▼