Your Mental Health

Very possible, last year i kinda felt the same and a few people said i could be depressed.
I went to the GP , told him my wife and a few others reckon i am depressed. He said “Well, do you think you are depressed “

I said no and that was pretty much the end of it.
That makes me so cross!

People often struggle to put words on depression, and it can be written off as other things. The GP should at least have used a screening tool.

That makes me so cross!

People often struggle to put words on depression, and it can be written off as other things. The GP should at least have used a screening tool.
A screening tool such as a questionnaire?

If a person suffers from anxiety they'll know it but may have difficulty telling the gp in which case I presume the gp is trained to look out for the classic signs.

The very nature of MH issues is that they are very personal and unique to the individual.
So while the symptoms and strategies might be similar across the board, how someone perceives themselves, their ability to distinguish an MH problem from a tangible real world problem, their ability to communicate or even willingness to communicate with someone else - is literally entirely dependent on their state of mind.

It can get to a point where there is no perspective - and in these situations it is important to remember it is not actually possible to "think" your way out of it.

You need to have a certain inner strength to be able to actively seek the help you need especially when you are not sure what help that might be.

A screening tool such as a questionnaire?

If a person suffers from anxiety they'll know it but may have difficulty telling the gp in which case I presume the gp is trained to look out for the classic signs.
Yeah. I use the Beck mood inventory ( no, it doesn't assess whether or not you're a loser, baby...)

It gets clients to think about things like appetite and sleep, that they may not recognise as low mood symptoms..

That makes me so cross!

I should say in his defence that he took bloods and sent them off also.
Got an SMS from him a few days later saying “Bloods all ok” and then that really was it….

I should say in his defence that he took bloods and sent them off also.
Got an SMS from him a few days later saying “Bloods all ok” and then that really was it….
Surely his reaction to the bloods should have been that nothing showed up with the obvious therefore something else must be the case?

If you're not feeling right you're not feeling right and you should try get something done about it Browser. I know GP's aren't easy to get to but could you switch to your wife if they are different and try again?

Surely his reaction to the bloods should have been that nothing showed up with the obvious therefore something else must be the case?

If you're not feeling right you're not feeling right and you should try get something done about it Browser. I know GP's aren't easy to get to but could you switch to your wife if they are different and try again?

Yeah i’m a bit Irish in a sense that i dont want to be bothering anybody or causing a big fuss.

I think a GP change might be a good idea.

I dont think i am depressed to be honest. Usually any time i am feeling off i look at what i am eating, how much exercise i am doing, cut back on alcohol/caffeine and try to read more and it usually sorts me out.

Very possible, last year i kinda felt the same and a few people said i could be depressed.
I went to the GP , told him my wife and a few others reckon i am depressed. He said “Well, do you think you are depressed “

I said no and that was pretty much the end of it.
Problem is that a lot of GPS have very little understanding of mental health. My own GP is best I ever came across at sorting out physical ailments but was clueless when I discussed mental health.

A good psychiatrist worth their weight in Gold.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Cork's Primetime Comedy Show
The Roundy, Castle St.

13th Jul 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

The Days Of Trees (16)

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 6pm

More events ▼