Cork U2O Football 2023

Big question marks over John Hayes after last night, he was said to be doing a lot of the coaching, particularly the forwards. That’s his second time doing that job for 2 different Cork teams and both times he’s come up badly short on ideas. Feedback I heard on him was pretty bad both times.

Proof if ever it was needed that being a good player doesn’t make you a good coach.

Cork looked totally flat and had no clear gameplan. Kerry looked really like they wanted to win every ball more than Cork and also Kerry looked way fitter.
They looked it and were fitter, because Kerry will always invest more in football than Cork no matter how many talented young lads we produce. It's a religion in Kerry. It's a sport in Cork. End of,

Yeah - there seemed to be no bit of spark or cutting in the Cork team. No bit of a dust up/handbags either which is unusual for Cork-Kerry game.

Was it a very young team? Are many available again next year...wouldn't be optimistic going down to Tralee in 2024, based on last night!!
Rebel, there are a fair few underage next year. Dan Twomey, Olan Corcoran, Niall Kelly, Ross Corkery, Hugh O'Connor, Mikey O'Connell, Fionn Crowley are all underage for definite. Bryan Hayes will be back you'd hope and there is plenty more talent there. Rory O'Shaughnessy if he doesn't go the rugby route is playing good football with Michaels. There also a few excellent players coming through at u17 like Gearóid Daly who is a brilliant defender. Talent is not lacking. Direction and proper coaching is what would be required.

Last edited:
Agree on having multiple go to kick-outs. I think this argument around skill levels is taking away from the bigger picture with issues around tactics. There didn’t seem to be many issues with skill levels when Cork beat Kerry the last two years at minor level. What about the Kerry minor team that required extra time to beat Cork 3 years ago in Tralee? Were they also at a different level skill wise? What about the Clare U20 team that should have beaten this Kerry team a week ago? Do they also have a far greater skill level than the young Cork players? In fact you could probably make the argument that there’s fewer tactics involved at minor level football than U20 level, so the greater skill level should win out.

For me, this lack of supposed skill level has been exaggerated a lot. It’s very easy for young players to lose confidence in a team with no momentum, who are consistently on the back foot, and being crowded out. Even the great David Clifford was kept scoreless and struggled against us last year in Pairc Ui Rinn when we crowded out the Kerry full forward line. I think Liam O’Connell from Ballincollig had a decent game all things considered and would be a good option for the senior team going forward. He’s a strong, tall half-forward who is well able to score, something we don't have a lot of. I would potentially be looking at Dan Twomey as well, along with the likes of Conor Daly, Colin Walsh and Conor O’Hanlon If they are available/fit over the next few years.
If the players of any team don't have the basic skills then there isn't a future for that team and there is no conveyor for the inter-county senior team.

Regarding the minor game 3 years ago the tackle wasn't part of the the array in the Cork skill set and it wasn't either last night. Cork's kicking was also poor but instead of improving it has gone back further. In Tralee Conor Hanlon had a very good game until he went off injured, he scored the only goal to give Cork impetus and keep them in the game, last night he wasn't playing and is constantly injured. He is skilfull and a really good footballer but he is injury prone and very inclined to put on weight easily. I don't think he will make it as a senior inter-county player unless a lot of things change to map his future as a player.

Sean Brady is gone back from his minor days and is too often between 2 stools as a wing-back and a wing-forward, IMO he hasn't shown he is a forward.

Seamus O'Callaghan was starting all through 2020 until late on when part of the defence was re-arranged then he was dropped and Liam McCarthy came in and was selected centre-back, neither of them are involved now. Another 2 good players who performed in Tralee were Fergal and Sean Walsh, I understand both of them are now living abroad.

Jacob O'Driscoll was sub in 2020, now he's full-back and captain.

The point is that most of these players should have been driving on from the performance in 2020 but too many players are missing and many more have gone back in standard.

Liam O'Connell and Sean Dore have potential but although O'Connell was mobile last night with good pressing I still question his kicking and foot passing. His balance was poor for defending one of the goals but he made one great catch at mid-field. Sean Dore was good v Limerick and was a loss going off injured last night.

Big question marks over John Hayes after last night, he was said to be doing a lot of the coaching, particularly the forwards. That’s his second time doing that job for 2 different Cork teams and both times he’s come up badly short on ideas. Feedback I heard on him was pretty bad both times.

Proof if ever it was needed that being a good player doesn’t make you a good coach.
same with Cathrach Keane , what experience does he have . Billy Morgan at nearly 80 would run rings around these fellas tactically.

If there is any positive to be taken from last evening- its that its now impossible to deny the football in Cork is in a sorry state.

I don't think we can pick out the U20 coaching ticket - the lack of coaching seems apparent at all levels.

I hope KOD understands that radical and urgent action is required

Rebel, there are a fair few underage next year. Dan Twomey, Olan Corcoran, Niall Kelly, Ross Corkery, Hugh O'Connor, Mikey O'Connell, Fionn Crowley are all underage for definite. Bryan Hayes will be back you'd hope and there is plenty more talent there. Rory O'Shaughnessy if he doesn't go the rugby route is playing good football with Michaels. There also a few excellent players coming through at u17 like Gearóid Daly who is a brilliant defender. Talent is not lacking. Direction and proper coaching is what would be required.
you are right players we have but coaching is the problem...add players like Colin Molloy, Tim O Brien, Colm Gillespie, Darragh Gough, Gearoid Kearney, Ed Meyers, Darragh O Brien, Michael McSweeney, to you list and many more can we make a proper team panel out of those injury free for next year !

One other major issue the Munster Council have got to play group style championship s for our Minor and U20 Competition s its done in Hurling why cant it be done in Football ???? I know the answer Money !

If the players of any team don't have the basic skills then there isn't a future for that team and there is no conveyor for the inter-county senior team.

Regarding the minor game 3 years ago the tackle wasn't part of the the array in the Cork skill set and it wasn't either last night. Cork's kicking was also poor but instead of improving it has gone back further. In Tralee Conor Hanlon had a very good game until he went off injured, he scored the only goal to give Cork impetus and keep them in the game, last night he wasn't playing and is constantly injured. He is skilfull and a really good footballer but he is injury prone and very inclined to put on weight easily. I don't think he will make it as a senior inter-county player unless a lot of things change to map his future as a player.

Sean Brady is gone back from his minor days and is too often between 2 stools as a wing-back and a wing-forward, IMO he hasn't shown he is a forward.

Seamus O'Callaghan was starting all through 2020 until late on when part of the defence was re-arranged then he was dropped and Liam McCarthy came in and was selected centre-back, neither of them are involved now. Another 2 good players who performed in Tralee were Fergal and Sean Walsh, I understand both of them are now living abroad.

Jacob O'Driscoll was sub in 2020, now he's full-back and captain.

The point is that most of these players should have been driving on from the performance in 2020 but too many players are missing and many more have gone back in standard.

Liam O'Connell and Sean Dore have potential but although O'Connell was mobile last night with good pressing I still question his kicking and foot passing. His balance was poor for defending one of the goals but he made one great catch at mid-field. Sean Dore was good v Limerick and was a loss going off injured last night.
Are the two Walshes abroad for the foreseeable? I was wondering why neither were involved. Two good players that have proved it with Cork underage previously.

Also what is Eoghan Nash’s story? Was he injured before the game last night. He was definitely a future cork senior in my mind but didn’t stand up last night. On O’Connell, he’s definitely a prospect but still needs a load of coaching. There’s raw potential there though

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Linda Fredriksson Juniper
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

14th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Cops and Robert

Dwyers Of Cork, Tomorrow @ 10pm

More events ▼