2022 Premier Senior football

There’s nothing between the big 4 teams in the county: Nemo,Clon, haven and the Barrs, as evidenced in the last 2 years.

Clon and Haven have to win the title to be compared to the other two.

I expect to see players from Douglas, 'Barrs and Nemo involved with Cork minors next year, I can't think of any from Castlehaven or Clon. The Clon talent I know of are under 14 and under 15 hurlers, fair play to your club for these guys in a predominantly football area.

Nemo learned a lot from the stuff they had to put up with in the Clonakilty and Carbery Rangers games esp, moving Cronin out to 11 got him into the subsequent games, showed glimpses of his U21 ability v Ballincollig, thought he gave a superb #11 performance today, kept showing, kept the ball moving, got his forward line purring

Clon and Haven have to win the title to be compared to the other two.

I expect to see players from Douglas, 'Barrs and Nemo involved with Cork minors next year, I can't think of any from Castlehaven or Clon. The Clon talent I know of are under 14 and under 15 hurlers, fair play to your club for these guys in a predominantly football area.
Agreed we have some top quality hurling talent, we could in all likelihood be a dual senior club within 10 years.

2 cork minors this year and 1/2 others that were very unlucky to miss out. The conveyor belt is in good nick in Clon.

Nemo learned a lot from the stuff they had to put up with in the Clonakilty and Carbery Rangers games esp, moving Cronin out to 11 got him into the subsequent games, showed glimpses of his U21 ability v Ballincollig, thought he gave a superb #11 performance today, kept showing, kept the ball moving, got his forward line purring
Yeah he was excellent, reminded me of Mark Collins when 'Haven won in '12 & '13. Intelligent on the ball, not recycling it for the sake of it.

Yeah he was excellent, reminded me of Mark Collins when 'Haven won in '12 & '13. Intelligent on the ball, not recycling it for the sake of it.
Tactically in the first half Sherlock had to defend O'Donovan as much as the reverse, it felt like the Barrs let Nemo dictate too much.

Agreed we have some top quality hurling talent, we could in all likelihood be a dual senior club within 10 years.

2 cork minors this year and 1/2 others that were very unlucky to miss out. The conveyor belt is in good nick in Clon.
Flush with victory and other stuff and up on my high horse I'll say the top tier in Cork is Nemo, Barrs and Haven. I know Haven haven't won the county these last few years but having watched all 3 of them over that span I can categorically say all 3 are close enough to warrant mention. If you want to put Haven in 3rd thats fine but it would take very little for some of the recent wins to head down there.

After that.. Duhallow, Douglas and Clon are in the 2nd pot of teams, but with different qualifications and trajectories. They may be close to the top of the table but in terms of quality they are a clear step below. Douglas beat Nemo last year but haven't done much else, especially in knock out games. Duhallow were firm 4th for a long time and always a tough out for the other 3. But now seem to be stepping back I think.

For Clon... you want to talk about history? 9 wins is good going on any account. Only a handful of teams are better.
You want to talk about youth? Good youth teams, players playing in Cork underage teams, that's good stuff.

Neither of these puts you at the top table *right now*. You may be at it in a few years, 2025 you might even be the unquestioned best, but that does not put you in contention with the top 3 in 2022. The final appearance is respectable but you've failed to beat any of the top 3 in spite of multiple attempts. You won't be on top until you are able to not just compete but beat the teams winning the county on a regular basis and you are not there now.

Ballincollig and Carbery both warrant mention here too along with the others as being close but I wouldn't be as familiar with their recent performances to comment in detail.

On a side note how bizarre that a team as successful as Lees folded. Think of all the suff around Redmonds folding but Lees folded with 12 county wins. Is there any other club team so successful that folded?

Last edited:
As I would remember it, Lees were the club that was peopled mainly by West Cork men and lads from other counties who were exiled in the city. I think about lade like Weeshie Murphy, Neally Duggan, Paddy Tyres etc.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Lee Sessions Trad Trail
Sin É, Coburg St

27th May 2024 @ 6:30 pm
More info..

A Matter Of Time

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼