2022 Premier Senior Hurling

Best performance by a ref ever was Frank in the '88 semi-final between Glen & Piarsaigh. How he only sent off 5 is beyond me. Mickey Mullins sent off as he was being stretchered off. Great stuff.
They could have done with Frank for round 2 that night on McCurtain Street (was it 89 though?)

With your flying pint glass? 😀

Nope. I was one of those who saw the pint glass incident on my way to the bar though. We were all on the inside near the jacks, they were all on the outside between us and the door and one of our lot on his way out and slagged MM who couldn't take it and glassed yerman. Then all hell broke loose. We were outnumbered but there were a couple of head-the-balls amongst us who wanted to go for it anyway. Thankfully wiser heads prevailed after a few minutes as there were many in-laws on either side. MM was the big loser in it all. Subsequently referred to by a Cork GAA legend as being "Cork's youngest ever has-been"

Serious question

Which game was the dirtiest? Barrs Midleton 84 or Glen Piarsaigh 88?

All jokes aside Glen v Piarsaigh wasn't that dirty. Yeah it was physical and no quarter asked or given but I don't think it was a treacherous match as such. Nothing sneaky, just full blooded when the ball was there. Didn't see the Barrs v Midleton but I gather there was an amount of sneaky stuff from both sides.

The one I remember as a standout for "never mind the ball it's you and me and we're going to sort this out" was O'Guheen of Na Piarsaigh and someone out of The Barrs, can't recall who. Two of them down the city end on the main stand side with the ball up the other end and they were trading blow-for-blow to their opponents head with their hurleys. Both went down after a few blows each. I think O'Guheen wore a helmet from then on, the barrsman already used to wear one.

There were a few tough guys back then who'd stand toe to toe with anyone, and then there were guys who'd sneak up behind you and hit you when you weren't looking :mad:

I remember Christy Ring junior being sent off with Christy Caughlan, and though they were pally enough outside of hurling, I think one stayed in the others apartment in NY, the two boys were still wanting to carry on the dispute even after being sent off.

After one of the barr/midleton games the headlines on one of the dublin papers was .The next time they meet someone will be killed. They were hard games sometimes very dirty dont have to many memories of them except i remember C Ryan RIP chasing Hennessy around the field after he had taken one of the barrs corners backs out off it with a sneaky blow . They attracted great crowds.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Lyra
Live At The Marquee

16th Jun 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Vault 003

Cyprus Avenue, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼