Jesus lads, 'tis looking like BREXIT!

If you vote tory you're a fucking tool and I have no sympathy for you. If you didn't, I do.
I'm certain my parents-in-law will vote Tory next time around.
The problem is they're in a carefully curated bubble, their newspapers of choice are the Daily Mail and the Daily Telegraph, they watch BBC news, and don't internet particularly much.

I completely understand how, if you're in that bubble, with the propaganda pumped at you on a daily basis, you can fall for it.
I've given up on trying to get them out of that bubble, it simply isn't going to happen at their age with a lifetime of Toryism. They're not idiots, they're just being fed bullshit without the balance that the likes of the BBC used to provide.

I'm certain my parents-in-law will vote Tory next time around.
The problem is they're in a carefully curated bubble, their newspapers of choice are the Daily Mail and the Daily Telegraph, they watch BBC news, and don't internet particularly much.

I completely understand how, if you're in that bubble, with the propaganda pumped at you on a daily basis, you can fall for it.
I've given up on trying to get them out of that bubble, it simply isn't going to happen at their age with a lifetime of Toryism. They're not idiots, they're just being fed bullshit without the balance that the likes of the BBC used to provide.
I'm not going to insult your in laws HBB, but don't you think that before you vote you should do a little bit of reflection and a bit of introspection?

The Tory Party have always and always will be about the betterment of a small section of the population and if it comes at the expense of the vast majority, so be it. From Thatcher to Truss/Sunak (my lifetime) it's always been exactly the same.

They're putting lipstick on their new pig now, but they really are all the same. Tax cuts and the abolishment of the welfare state, privatising the NHS and social care is what they're all about. Pull yourself up by your bootstrap and if you can't, tough shit.

They're the republican party without the religious nutters.

I'm not going to insult your in laws HBB, but don't you think that before you vote you should do a little bit of reflection and a bit of introspection?

The Tory Party have always and always will be about the betterment of a small section of the population and if it comes at the expense of the vast majority, so be it. From Thatcher to Truss/Sunak (my lifetime) it's always been exactly the same.

They're putting lipstick on their new pig now, but they really are all the same. Tax cuts and the abolishment of the welfare state, privatising the NHS and social care is what they're all about. Pull yourself up by your bootstrap and if you can't, tough shit.

They're the republican party without the religious nutters.
It's middle England, comfortable, nostalgic and somewhat atomised, insulated from the worst impacts of Tory policies.

You have to keep in mind that, when your average Tory party member was born, Britain was still an empire. If you're an early baby boomers in the UK, here's what it looked like when you were born:

british_empire_1921.png

The Guardian does a good job at tracking the decline of the empire here:

I'm not sure people really get just how recent the fall of it has been. As a result, there's a very strong strain in British politics that indirectly harkens back to "the good old days". Victorian values, stuff upper lip, the belief in British exceptionalism.

Thatcher is loved in the Tory party because she is perceived to have turned around decades of decline. Truss is tapping into exactly this seam of national pride and the narrative of Britain being strong. The party membership is lapping it up.

Yes, but telling the Scottish people you can ignore the person theyce elected to lead them is ridiculously stupid.
She is vacuous. It is the best way to describe her. The only cheese keeping the hamster on the wheel is power. She has no concept of anything. The ERG will tell her what to say and what positions to take. She is the proverbial puppet. But she wont care because she will have the top job. Whoever is running her campaign has clearly polished the performances though.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Nora Brown and Stephanie Coleman
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

13th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

3 Of A Kind

Dwyers Of Cork, Today @ 10pm

More events ▼