The unpopular opinion thread.

Were they? Have you got figures for that?
The three deaths mentioned in the article are from 1920 and it only mentioned one as being Catholic.

The vast majority of the men serving in the RIC in 1919 were Irish-born and raised. Of the RIC's senior officers in 1919, 60% were Irish Protestants and rest Catholic while 70% of the rank and file of the RIC were Roman Catholic with the rest Protestant

It's how one side of my family ended up in Cork from Glendalough.

Last edited:
The vast majority of the men serving in the RIC in 1919 were Irish-born and raised. Of the RIC's senior officers in 1919, 60% were Irish Protestants and rest Catholic while 70% of the rank and file of the RIC were Roman Catholic with the rest Protestant

It's how one side of my family ended up in Cork from Glendalough.
That why I referenced the article refering to deaths in 1920 which was the height of it. Similar to the north there was an exodus of Catholics from the force in the first year of the war. Those who were still involved in 1920 knew the risks but chose to prop up the British administration regardless.

That why I referenced the article refering to deaths in 1920 which was the height of it. Similar to the north there was an exodus of Catholics from the force in the first year of the war. Those who were still involved in 1920 knew the risks but chose to prop up the British administration regardless.
And then came the Tans....

For those that stayed I'd imagine it was more about feeding their families..
I think the Gardai were then set up in 22.

Ooh, I have a good unpopular opinion.

Blackadder was totally overrated.

Take away the silly voices, silly costumes, juvenile catchphrases and adolescent humour and there's not a whole lot left

OK, the last episode in WW 1 was pretty good, but that was entirely down to Fry and Laurie, who have more talent than the rest of the cast put together.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Pretty Woman The Musical
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

28th Jun 2024 @ 7:30 pm
More info..

DJ Ian Richards

Crane Lane Theatre, Tomorrow @ 11pm

More events ▼