Old Cork Photos

Great 1770 map of Cork available for viewing on the British Library Flickr portal.

You can zoom right in, and the map is perfect resolution

https://www.flickr.com/photos/britishlibrary/50263326663/

safe_image.php

Awesome, so before it was called the coal quay, it was called the timber quay. In 50years it might be called the solar quay, or the hydrogen quay :)

A beautiful Victorian theatre inside by all accounts. Sometimes I get nostalgic for other long gone great Cork buildings I never got to see, but are still missed and remembered to this day, such as the beautiful original Sutton building on the South Mall and the Carnegie Library on Anglesea Street.
No one will ever get nostalgic for the North Main St Car Park or Merchants Quay Shopping Centre amongst others as they replaced historical streetscapes and river frontages which would if restored be an asset to us all now.

It actually makes me feel ashamed that the beautiful old buildings in the city centre are not preserved and used as homes and businesses.
The river should also be made an asset by having boardwalks and dining areas instead of plans to concrete it further from view. I have a romantic view of it in my mind of being adorned with hanging baskets and old lanterns with people sitting out to eat on warm summer evenings.

*Fed up awaits diagnoses of insanity*

It actually makes me feel ashamed that the beautiful old buildings in the city centre are not preserved and used as homes and businesses.
The river should also be made an asset by having boardwalks and dining areas instead of plans to concrete it further from view. I have a romantic view of it in my mind of being adorned with hanging baskets and old lanterns with people sitting out to eat on warm summer evenings.

*Fed up awaits diagnoses of insanity*
Georges Quay and pretty much everything from Andersons Quay-Merchants-Lavitts-Batchelors Quay is a motorway while the North Quays are choked with cars and buses.

South facing quays covered with cars and buses stored there all day in parts.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Complete Stone Roses
The Oliver Plunkett, Oliver Plunkett St.

1st Aug 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Sparkle

Dwyers Of Cork, Today @ 10pm

More events ▼