For Fluent Speakers Of Irish

So, yet again you're arguing with me about something I didn't actually say?

You said "we have words for yes and no". I said we don't. Only one of us is correct.

All-About-History-duel.jpg

You said "we have words for yes and no". I said we don't. Only one of us is correct.[/IMG]
Well, me clearly as you then back-tracked by saying we don't have a "single word" for yes and no, which I never said we did.

Gracious of you to accept defeat old chap, I look forward to our next encounter.

Well, me clearly as you then back-tracked by saying we don't have a "single word" for yes and no, which I never said we did.

Gracious of you to accept defeat old chap, I look forward to our next encounter.

"We have words for yes and no" - no we don't. We have positive and negative constructions.

"Ba mhaith leat úl?"

"Níl"

Translation:

"You would like an apple?"

"Isn't."

Your statement is wrong and your example makes no sense. To go back to my original point, it's intelligible but incorrect.

Yes we do
So, words for yes and no in other words.

Listen, you can use my pathetic Irish all you want to back up your mistake, it doesn't make you any less incorrect.

If someone asks an Irish speaker if they want an apple, there are words they can use to say no.

There are words we can use to say we do or do not want an apple. There are still no words for yes or no.

"Would you like an apple?"

"I would not like."

It's not quite the same and it addresses Debgor's OP. Come at it from a different angle: Does English have a word for Schadenfreude?

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Cooper Clarke
Cyprus Avenue, Caroline St.

19th May 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..
More events ▼