Cyclists

this is utter drivel

is somebody stopping you from cycling and having the same rights as everyone else?

what happens when an uninsured driver causes an accident?

how many accidents have you had driving? do you feel like this every time you pay your car tax?

a good chunk of your taxes fund the welfare system, but you are not on welfare.. do you want that back?

I've had one accident when i was sat in my parked car in a car park and a motorbike hit the windscreen, I don't think that was my fault.

If an uninsured driver causes an accident the innocent party claims from the same fund, a find they contribute to with every insurance premium they pay. The uninsured driver is then liable to be prosecuted and you can be sure that a no insurance conviction on your licence bumps your premiums up for the next 10 years at least.

As for the welfare state, generally unless people have never been able to work through sickness they will have contributed to that fund, it's not the same thing at all,

There are bad drivers and bad cyclists, I totally accept that

I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me why I have to pay for bad cyclists

so you have never caused an accident in your car, but you pay for bad drivers every time you renew your policy

are you not upset at this?

Joggers are pedestrians we've been through all this.

My insurance had tripled in the past 5 years and I've never had a fault accident in 30 years. Yet I still have to pay for uninsured cyclists who cause an accident

I get all your reasons, I'm not talking about lessons (although we have a voluntary one here through schools and most of them take it up) and I do think that driving lessons/test should have some practical awareness for other road users.

But would less than a pound a week discourage them when risking their life every day doesn't, as you seem to suggest?

Yes it's an annoyance to me that I have to pay for others irresponsibility, and not only that cyclists get compensated from the same fund if it's not their fault but the driver is uninsured, compensation from a fund they make zero contribution to.
My wife had an accident with an uninsured driver who was driving on the wrong side of the road doing twice the speed limit on a blind corner.
It has cost us approximately £4K in total more than we received as default compensation.

Can you possibly imagine any scenario where an uninsured cyclist hitting a car could do more than £4k worth of damage to a car. Cyclists make dents on cars, maybe break a windscreen.

Cars make much more significant dents on cyclists . It's why i asked when was the last time a cyclists killed a motorist.

Are the sheep in south Kerry insured? They're far more likely to badly damage a car...

so you have never caused an accident in your car, but you pay for bad drivers every time you renew your policy

are you not upset at this?
No, because I don't pay for all bad drivers.

I only pay for the uninsured ones, I also cover myself against uninsured drivers by my contribution to the fund.

The uninsured ones then have a further penalty of prosecution, that added to the fact that it's very difficult now to get away with not insuring your car here with the data bank and the number of ANPR vehicles around.

My point is I pay for all bad cyclists, I also pay to compensate the good ones when they don't contribute anything.

My wife had an accident with an uninsured driver who was driving on the wrong side of the road doing twice the speed limit on a blind corner.
It has cost us approximately £4K in total more than we received as default compensation.

Can you possibly imagine any scenario where an uninsured cyclist hitting a car could do more than £4k worth of damage to a car. Cyclists make dents on cars, maybe break a windscreen.

Cars make much more significant dents on cyclists . It's why i asked when was the last time a cyclists killed a motorist.

Are the sheep in south Kerry insured? They're far more likely to badly damage a car...

Hence why their insurance is only £40 a year on average.

No one is suggesting it's comparable with car insurance, it's way cheaper for the reasons you've stated. The £40 is based on what insurers currently pay out, I don't think it's unreasonable for cyclists to pay towards that,

No, because I don't pay for all bad drivers.

I only pay for the uninsured ones, I also cover myself against uninsured drivers by my contribution to the fund.

The uninsured ones then have a further penalty of prosecution, that added to the fact that it's very difficult now to get away with not insuring your car here with the data bank and the number of ANPR vehicles around.

My point is I pay for all bad cyclists, I also pay to compensate the good ones when they don't contribute anything.

of course you do

thats how insurance works, otherwise everyone involved in a serious accident could never afford to drive again

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Pretty Woman The Musical
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

24th Jun 2024 @ 7:30 pm
More info..

DJ Cillian Moore

The Pav, Today @ 11pm

More events ▼