Youghal

MerchantOfEnnis

Off work this week so I said I'd come down to Youghal today for a walk on the beach and a few pints.

Beach was grand til it started pissing it. Said I'd go into Clancys for a pint and some food. Closed on Tuesdays.

Grand, walk up the town to the Moby Dick. Closed on Tuesdays.

Fuck this I'll just head to Priory for a coffee and a panini so. Closed due to electrical works on the street. Even the feckin bank was closed.

Turns out half of Youghal is either Closed on Tuesdays or is closed due to council works on the main street.

I eventually ended up in the Nook for a toastie, and am in JDs now (fine pub tbf).

But one thing is really striking. It's July, and Youghal, a tourist town, is fucking DEAD.

The fact that most of their tourist accommodation is being used to house the victims of Putin's aggression seems to have landed a killer blow on local tourism. Sad to see. You could say that Youghal is a victim of Russia.

Anyway my point is that Youghal is fucked.

a tourist town

embarrassed-shy.gif

you forgot it is so close to Copper Coast RIVIERA (or is it not?) ;)

Off work this week so I said I'd come down to Youghal today for a walk on the beach and a few pints.

Beach was grand til it started pissing it. Said I'd go into Clancys for a pint and some food. Closed on Tuesdays.

Grand, walk up the town to the Moby Dick. Closed on Tuesdays.

Fuck this I'll just head to Priory for a coffee and a panini so. Closed due to electrical works on the street. Even the feckin bank was closed.

Turns out half of Youghal is either Closed on Tuesdays or is closed due to council works on the main street.

I eventually ended up in the Nook for a toastie, and am in JDs now (fine pub tbf).

But one thing is really striking. It's July, and Youghal, a tourist town, is fucking DEAD.

The fact that most of their tourist accommodation is being used to house the victims of Putin's aggression seems to have landed a killer blow on local tourism. Sad to see. You could say that Youghal is a victim of Russia.

Anyway my point is that Youghal is fucked.

Youghal has never recovered since the trains stopped running down there imho. Too far to commute when there's plenty of other beaches closer. Day trippers can spend plenty on grub and a jorum or two. Youghal Carpets closing was another major blow.

Back in the day Youghal was a big thriving hub in east Cork and Middleton was a village on the way. Now Middleton dwarfs Youghal with a much bigger population. Middleton being bypassed seemed to breath life into the place, whereas Youghal being bypassed meant they didn't even get passing traffic after the railway shut. Ghosttown.

Youghal has never recovered since the trains stopped running down there imho. Too far to commute when there's plenty of other beaches closer. Day trippers can spend plenty on grub and a jorum or two. Youghal Carpets closing was another major blow.

Back in the day Youghal was a big thriving hub in east Cork and Middleton was a village on the way. Now Middleton dwarfs Youghal with a much bigger population. Middleton being bypassed seemed to breath life into the place, whereas Youghal being bypassed meant they didn't even get passing traffic after the railway shut. Ghosttown.

Good points well made. It's a shame as it has so much potential but it is just being left to rot.

It doesn't help that you don't really have a concentrated main street. There's a main street but to get from one end to the other could take you 20 minutes, and most of the shops you pass are closed down.

And there's fuck all for tourists. If you're staying in Youghal tonight then your only options for dinner are the Walter Raleigh or the Quays, which is booked out most of the time as its the only place to go. Aherne's used be good but I'm not sure if that's even open anymore, it was put up for sale a while back.

There's literally fuck all industry here like. All they had left was a few months of domestic tourism every summer, and it seems like they're after losing that too.

Dungarvan must be having a good laugh at the state of Youghal.

As usual hard to argue with anything you say Soundy, except maybe one thing, Youghal carpets was based just outside Carrigtwohill on the Cork side.

In fact it was probably nearer any other town or area in East Cork than Youghal, even those travelling from the city would have had less of a journey than those coming from Youghal.

As usual hard to argue with anything you say Soundy, except maybe one thing, Youghal carpets was based just outside Carrigtwohill on the Cork side.

In fact it was probably nearer any other town or area in East Cork than Youghal, even those travelling from the city would have had less of a journey than those coming from Youghal.

Didn't a load of fellas working for them before fall very ill afterwards due to fumes or something?

One thing Youghal does have is a good local radio station, CRY.

And to be fair if you live here, you have an excellent Tesco, a very good Aldi and Lidl, and a fucking appalling Super Valu (Brookes).

All up the one end of town though. If you lived the other end of town you'd be as well off going to Midleton.

Youghal carpets were originally actually in Youghal near Moby Dick's.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Damien Dempsey
Live At The Marquee, Showgrounds, Ballintemple

8th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Kidnapped (NC)

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 5:30pm

More events ▼