The Old College Bar.

Has now been transformed into The Calm Zone.

The Calm Zone has been designed using universal design and autism-friendly principles and is currently being featured as an example of autism-friendly design in the prestigious 2021 Venice Architecture Biennale.

A dedicated space of respite and calm for students, the Calm Zone is laid out across two levels with each aspect of the space considered to maximise autism-friendliness and designed to global design guidelines for built environments to be used by individuals with autism.

Im sure it's great for those students on the spectrum but I feel sorry for modern day students. It just feels like the experience of being a student is being further sanitised on a yearly basis.

The Calm Zone has been designed using universal design and autism-friendly principles and is currently being featured as an example of autism-friendly design in the prestigious 2021 Venice Architecture Biennale.

A dedicated space of respite and calm for students, the Calm Zone is laid out across two levels with each aspect of the space considered to maximise autism-friendliness and designed to global design guidelines for built environments to be used by individuals with autism.

Im sure it's great for those students on the spectrum but I feel sorry for modern day students. It just feels like the experience of being a student is being further sanitised on a yearly basis.

Head into the calm zone and take a shit in one of the gender neutral toilets.

The Universities are wrecked.

Sign of the times everywhere.

A couple of summers ago I went to watch a Little League baseball game with a friend who had been a die hard player when he was a kid. We watched in astonishment as the game was played in dead silence without a sound coming from either the players or the parents. Little League games, like all baseball games, used to be full of chatter as players talked to each other and mocked the people on the opposing team. The parents and other spectators would get in on it as well. Now, per regulations, there can be no talking by anyone. It’s like baseball invented by lawyers. It sucks. And it’s sad.

They were selling pieces of wood from the floor in a nice frame, but they sold out very quickly. As far as I know they have more wood and will be doing another run of them at some stage.

I was never the biggest fan of the old bar, I found it a bit dead and dirty. The new bar had a good buzz, nice food, and the jacks in the student centre were top class.

Man I miss UCC.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Lee Sessions Trad Trail
Sin É, Coburg St

27th May 2024 @ 9:30 pm
More info..

Ceili By The Lee

Crane Lane Theatre, Tomorrow @ 7:30pm

More events ▼