The Official Swimming Thread

Leaving the lane is completely out of order while the race is still going on - how would you set a time penalty.
I'm not arguing the rule, just the penalty. Maybe it makes no odds to him if he finishes as a DQ or say 5th with a time penalty, and in fairness at least "stay in the lane" is a clear rule, but a full DQ seems a bit harsh to me.

load of ways you could apply a time penalty be a % of qual time or median time or 3 placer. you'd have to work out what makes sense.

Leaving the lane is completely out of order while the race is still going on - how would you set a time penalty.
It may be out of order as you say but it impacted no one, he went into his teammates lane to celebrate who had also finished. If there was someone impacted then deffo a DQ but I think it is overly harsh. A. small bit of discretion on the judge's behalf was needed.

I'm not arguing the rule, just the penalty. Maybe it makes no odds to him if he finishes as a DQ or say 5th with a time penalty, and in fairness at least "stay in the lane" is a clear rule, but a full DQ seems a bit harsh to me.

load of ways you could apply a time penalty be a % of qual time or median time or 3 placer. you'd have to work out what makes sense.
And what if he screwed up the lad beside him - thought he was finished but he wasn't? Or what if the lad in lane 2 said he got distracted by the fannying around in lane 3/4 and screwed up his turn or his touch for the finish? There'd be all sorts of shite / appeals / counter-appeals / "we wuz robbed" headlines in the paper with a subjective rule IMO.

It's not like the track, your man is interfering with the actual course by horsing around while lads are still racing. Also, there's no way he didn't know the rule - it's drummed into you from your earliest galas.

LOL, sorry lads, I'm a strict blazer on this one ;)

And what if he screwed up the lad beside him - thought he was finished but he wasn't? Or what if the lad in lane 2 said he got distracted by the fannying around in lane 3/4 and screwed up his turn or his touch for the finish? There'd be all sorts of shite / appeals / counter-appeals / "we wuz robbed" headlines in the paper with a subjective rule IMO.

It's not like the track, your man is interfering with the actual course by horsing around while lads are still racing. Also, there's no way he didn't know the rule - it's drummed into you from your earliest galas.

LOL, sorry lads, I'm a strict blazer on this one ;)

IMG_0943.jpeg

😂

4:37 for Ellen Walshe in the 400IM at the Leinster Open this morning. That’s an Olympic QT - but even better, it wipes another Michelle Smith Irish “record” from the books.

Walshe will need to reproduce that time at the Irish Open in a few weeks to get the formal qualification for Paris. She’s already there in the 200 IM so it would be a decent double

Dolphin SC announced that they have taken delivery of a steel sectioned 50m olympic spec pool.

It was used as the warm up pool for the Birmingham Comm Games.

They need to fundraise the.building to go around it so lots of work but fair play to them

I know BPT is involved there. Well Done to the club. Serious ambition and vital for Cork

Last edited:
Cheers Guapo - yes, the big plunge had been taken - we've bought the pool and a few individuals have sunk serious personal cash into the purchase.

We have no site, no planning permission and a lot of funding to raise - but if we waited for all of those, we'd never get the pool and get going. People have been very supportive thus far but we need some real support from local and national goverment to get this built and running. Once it's done, everyone will wonder why it took so long to get around to building a 50m pool in Cork and why people had to make such personal sacrifices to get it done - it' an essential part of the sporting infrastructure for any city.

Not just for swimming clubs either - triathlon is a key beneficiary as well as schools - and clubs from all sports will be able to use the facility for recovery / injury repair etc.

So, if you know of anyone with a couple of acres near the city that they'd like to sell / donate to the future generations of Cork schoolchildren and sportspeople, let us know!

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Funny Fridays Special
City Limits, Coburg St.

24th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Brian Gallagher Plus Guests

City Limits, Today @ 8pm

More events ▼