The Official Athletics Thread

Just watched the mixed, super performance, I wonder what happened to Tom Barr that was out in 8, must've been some overly officious volunteer at a guess, Adeleke did well to spot him.

Mawdsley looked like she ran very even splits.

Neilsen the brit was charging and the gap opened back up by the finish.

Barr kept the cool when the Belgian picked him off. you love to see it.

Last edited:
Womens 4x was the better performance.

Healy had to solo more or less and Mawdsley holding off Neilsen was no small thing.

I'm delighted for them

mixed final 02:40am tonight.

Women's final 03:10am

i wonder what they'll do with selection. 30mins is an awfully short turnaround for Adeleke and Mawdesley.

its already mission accomplished like but a world medal would be nice

Just watched the mixed, super performance, I wonder what happened to Tom Barr that was out in 8, must've been some overly officious volunteer at a guess, Adeleke did well to spot him.

Mawdsley looked like she ran very even splits.

Neilsen the brit was charging and the gap opened back up by the finish.

Barr kept the cool when the Belgian picked him off. you love to see it.
Yeah, looks like a complete dope of an official had Barr out in 8 - the lanes assignments are supposed to be gone after 600 metres. Fair dues to Adeleke for seeing him - she had every right to be running straight for the line - there could have been disaster there.She still ran a great split despite having had to cross 7 lanes at the end.

Barr is class - he’s seen it all at this stage and every spin seems to be a bonus for him. I’d say he’s a great lad to have in the team.

All four women ran well in the female event. Becker nailed the first leg with a big first 200m burn to give Adeleke every chance of a big lead. Great to see Phil Healy back - she is so dependable and gave nothing away in the third leg. Mawdsley is, as ever a massive part of this team. I wonder will she break 50 this summer.

Still though, Adeleke, Adeleke, Adeleke. Two legs well under 50 seconds over less than 90 minutes. Both would have been under 49.5 only for the blazer in the mixed race.

Look at the countries that didn’t qualify - that tells you what a big night it was for Irish sport. Happy days.

The Dutch beors miscalculated and now Bol and Klaver have to run (and win) the repechage. She better not fall this time 😝

Barr had quotes in thre examiner saying he got fairly frustrated with the official. Good Photo too. i know its only a photo and you can't see what happened before or after, but this looks to me like a perfect blind hand-off between Phil Healy and Sharlene Mawdsley while Yeargon to Lina Neilsen in the next lane is all over the place head looking back in panic. Fair play to to the Irish Athletes and Coaches

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240505-191723.jpg
    Screenshot_20240505-191723.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 10
IRELAND NAME TEAMS FOR WORLD ATHLETICS RELAYS FINALS

Ireland have confirmed their team selections for the finals of the World Athletics Relays that take place in Nassau, the Bahamas in the early hours of tomorrow morning.

The Mixed and Women’s 4x400m relay teams will be back in action following heroic performances yesterday where both won their heats in national records, securing spots at the Paris 2024 Olympic Games in the process.

Due to the fact that only one change could be made on the mixed relay team and the tight turnaround of thirty minutes between finals, the women’s team sees two changes being made, allowing for Irish team management to utilise their strong squad.

🔹 Mixed 4x400m Final - 02:40am

Greene ➡ Adeleke ➡ Barr ➡ Mawdsley

🔹 Women's 4x400m Final - 03:10am

Healy ➡ Harrison ➡ Cadden ➡ Becker

If you get a chance, look at mixed relay heat last night at around the the 600m mark - just after they’ve merged and Adeleke is moving to the front. She absolutely towers over the other runners - looks a foot taller than some of them. Surely, being able to harness that extra physical capacity must be the key to greatness for her.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Horgan Brothers: Princes Of The Picture Theatre
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

30th May 2024 @ 6:30 pm
More info..

Brian Gallagher Plus Guests

City Limits, Today @ 8pm

More events ▼