The Gaelic Football Thread

Very good article in my opinion, 12k at a Munster final is grim but realistic now. Was reading about the 2009 championship this week and saw that Dublin Meath in the Leinster quarter final attracted 75k, not even the semi finals now would attract that.

Very good article in my opinion, 12k at a Munster final is grim but realistic now. Was reading about the 2009 championship this week and saw that Dublin Meath in the Leinster quarter final attracted 75k, not even the semi finals now would attract that.
People are voting with their feet or their wallet.

Ulster and Connaught still mean something and are very good competitons despite being devalued by the structure of the All Ireland afterwards.

Leinster because of Dublin dominance and Munster because Cork can only beat Kerry once every few years, are now dreadful competitions. They're basically meaningless and glorified sparring for Dublin and Kerry.

The fact that every province has their own council means the provincials will probably remain in place well past their sell by date despite public opinion.

Dublin and Kerry would still be the dominant teams at national level irrespective of the format but I think even their own supporters would like to see a bit more jeopardy along the way. I'm not sure what the solution is though.

Two conference style groups (Connaught & Munster alongside Ulster & Leinster) might be pretty good with a Div 1 and Div 2(Tailtean Cup) but you'd never get it voted in because of the self interest of the provincial councils...unless there was a fair distribution up of gate receipts.

Derry, 5 points down.

Every player inside their own 45 and Galway taking the piss out of them over and back across the middle of the field.

Micky’s no Jimmy.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Open Streets: Boolaboom Busking
Cornmarket Centre, Cornmarket St.

19th May 2024 @ 1:00 pm
More info..

Flake The Gander

Dwyers Of Cork, Today @ 10pm

More events ▼