The County Board Complaints Thread

Does Frank Need To Go

• Total voters
Pat Spillane said they left €500000 on the table. The report from the board meeting says they will be drawing down the €500000 over the next 2 years. So he was right. Whatever the reasoning for not drawing it down, is inconsequential. If they don't have the business plans in place for not drawing it down is the fault of the county board. I don't think it was a case of them finding out about the money at the last minute.

This shows people don't read. IF they do they don't understand.

Firstly Spillane did not Say they left €500k. He said his colleague (McGoldrick) did, but McGoldrick has been writing about money spent on coaching for years taking pot shots at the GAA.

Secondly, this new funding mechanism for coaching from the GAA was only agreed at last years congress. It would be a couple of months before the I's were crossed and Ts dotted before the County Boards would know for sure the allocated budget.

So if we say they they knew what they could spend in April last year, they would only have 6 months to spend the 2023 allocation of month (GAA financial year from from October to September).

The first step Cork Gaa took was to hire a Head of Games Development (Niall Twomey) - This was advertised in Mid March and he started in July - And the 3 or 4 months in not a lot of time for that type of recruitment, between advertising the position, interviewing, agreed ts&c and giving notice etc.

Then for the the head of games development to review what was needed, Advertise for GDA (Advertised July 2024), interview and offer positions - another 3 months is not bad either.

And this is all with dealing with the bureaucracy of the GAA.

And it has been mentioned that All County Board underspent -

Now I am not defending the County Board here. It great that they are getting the money, and spending it....the big questions is are they spending it correctly...only time will tell

This shows people don't read. IF they do they don't understand.

Firstly Spillane did not Say they left €500k. He said his colleague (McGoldrick) did, but McGoldrick has been writing about money spent on coaching for years taking pot shots at the GAA.

Secondly, this new funding mechanism for coaching from the GAA was only agreed at last years congress. It would be a couple of months before the I's were crossed and Ts dotted before the County Boards would know for sure the allocated budget.

So if we say they they knew what they could spend in April last year, they would only have 6 months to spend the 2023 allocation of month (GAA financial year from from October to September).

The first step Cork Gaa took was to hire a Head of Games Development (Niall Twomey) - This was advertised in Mid March and he started in July - And the 3 or 4 months in not a lot of time for that type of recruitment, between advertising the position, interviewing, agreed ts&c and giving notice etc.

Then for the the head of games development to review what was needed, Advertise for GDA (Advertised July 2024), interview and offer positions - another 3 months is not bad either.

And this is all with dealing with the bureaucracy of the GAA.

And it has been mentioned that All County Board underspent -

Now I am not defending the County Board here. It great that they are getting the money, and spending it....the big questions is are they spending it correctly...only time will tell
Good post. Just one key thing I’d add to it is that Cork GAA confirmed that they were fully funded through the old funding model for the first 3 quarters of 2023, so they could only access the new fund from Q4 onwards.
To draw down money from 2 separate funds for the same GAA activity would have been fraud. We have seen plenty people in prominent people in the community convicted for fraudulent funding claims.
It’s good that the €500k is ring fenced.
I do share your concerns and hope it isn’t just another HSE job and throwing money after bad..

From what I’ve heard it’s to with players living in Cork crossing the border to play in Kerry.
Complicated one I'd say, isn't there something about their parish being under the Diocese of Kerry and all different loop holes that are being exploited.
Wasn't there something with Ballydesmond lads previously too that was similar

Complicated one I'd say, isn't there something about their parish being under the Diocese of Kerry and all different loop holes that are being exploited.
Wasn't there something with Ballydesmond lads previously too that was similar
Ballydesmond players played against each other for Cork & Kerry in a Munster junior final about 20 years ago I think.
A river which is the county boundary spits the parish.
With the parish is in both counties fellas can play for Kerry under Cork bye laws but I think it doesn’t work the other way with Kerry rules different, or it’s vice versa. I think that was the situation anyway
Interesting to see what’s going on now.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Peppa Pig's Fun Day Out
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

9th May 2024 @ 1:00 pm
More info..

The Teachers Lounge (12A)

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 4pm

More events ▼