Stardust anniversary

Will the owners face action?
Not sure, from the Journal.ie....
"Unlike in a criminal case, nobody is found guilty or innocent at an inquest, and no criminal or civil liability is determined. Instead, an inquest is used to determine the facts surrounding how, when and where the death of someone occurred.
A verdict of unlawful killing can only be determined where it is found there was gross negligence taken in the interest of preserving someone’s life."

Will the owners face action?

It doesn't sound possible

from the IT:

Mr Justice Meenan said an inquest is an inquisitorial hearing to establish the facts concerning the who, how, when, where and circumstances of a person’s death.

It is not an exercise of considering or apportioning blame or exoneration, he said.

The Coroners Acts prohibit questions of civil or criminal liability being considered or investigated and verdicts censuring or exonerating a person, he said.

These restrictions however do not prevent an inquest establishing the facts concerning the circumstances of a person’s death even though those facts may be ultimately relevant in another forum dealing with criminal or civil liability, he said.

Parties before an inquest are entitled to fair procedures but this entitlement is limited given the statutory confines within which an inquest takes place, he said.

Sections 30 and 31 of the Coroners Acts do not prohibit verdicts of unlawful killing, he said.

Questions of civil or criminal liability or verdicts containing censure or exoneration arise where the person(s) concerned are identified or identifiable.

“In appropriate circumstances there may be a verdict of unlawful killing but only where no person(s) is identified or identifiable”, he said.

The law also gives a coroner discretion to consider the circumstances of a person’s death. It may be that the more detailed the evidence is on the circumstances of the death “the less permissible will be a verdict of unlawful killing”, he said.

“It is for the coroner, having heard all the evidence, who gave the evidence, and considered the submissions of the parties, to direct the jury as to the permissible verdicts.”

It seems the judge refused Eamon Butterly's challenge to not allow a verdict of unlawful killing to be considered.. fair play (y)

Former Stardust manager Eamon Butterly made a High Court application shortly before the jury began its deliberations, it can now be reported.

Just before Easter weekend, Mr Butterly, who had been manager of the nightclub, sought permission to bring judicial review proceedings challenging decisions made by the coroner to allow the jury return a verdict of ‘unlawful killing’.

The case could only be reported following today’s verdict at the inquest into the deaths of 48 persons at the Stardust Nightclub on Valentine’s night in 1981.

The application came before Mr Justice Tony O’Connor who in a judgement refused Mr Butterly’s application for both leave to bring the challenge, and the inquest be put on hold pending the outcome of the challenge.

I'd say this story will never go away, it has become such a part of Irish society. I remember my mum telling me about it at a young age, apparently my grandad went into all the kids rooms the next morning to check that they were all home, as even though they grew up on the other side of Dublin the Stardust was such a popular place they could easily have ended up there the night before.

Horrible story, hopefully things brings some closure to the families, as clichéd as that sounds.

I'd say this story will never go away, it has become such a part of Irish society. I remember my mum telling me about it at a young age, apparently my grandad went into all the kids rooms the next morning to check that they were all home, as even though they grew up on the other side of Dublin the Stardust was such a popular place they could easily have ended up there the night before.

Horrible story, hopefully things brings some closure to the families, as clichéd as that sounds.
You're a dub??????

Admin_Y!!!!!!!!!!

It's mental actually how many Dubs of this generation have parents from the other 25 counties. I work with so many 100% true blue Dubs who have absolutely no Dublin heritage. Parents from Cork, Tipp, Donegal etc, who all had to move there in the 70s and 80s because there was feck all opportunity in the rest of the country.

I'd like to say things have improved but Dublin is still way too far ahead of the rest of Ireland for career opportunities, housing, and basic amenities.

Kip.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Peppa Pig's Fun Day Out
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

8th May 2024 @ 1:00 pm
More info..

Fireside Folk

The Welcome Inn, Today @ 9:30pm

More events ▼