Sherlock Holmes

BBJ

I have everything Conan Doyle wrote about the eponymous detective (56 short stories and 4 novels) and am now reading the third of a series written by Laurie R King, the premise of which is that Holmes has got himself married to a young one called Mary Russell.
Recently, there has also been yet another TV series and a couple in a very long line of films.
Is there another fictional character with the longeivity of Sherlock Holmes?

I have everything Conan Doyle wrote about the eponymous detective (56 short stories and 4 novels) and am now reading the third of a series written by Laurie R King, the premise of which is that Holmes has got himself married to a young one called Mary Russell.
Recently, there has also been yet another TV series and a couple in a very long line of films.
Is there another fictional character with the longeivity of Sherlock Holmes?

Poirot?

The first Sherlock Holmes book, A STUDY IN SCARLET, was released in 1887. Tintin made his first appearance in 1929 and THE MYSTERIOUS AFFAIR AT STYLES which introduced Poirot was published a little earlier in 1920.

sorry love i thought you meant characters that are well known that have been round for aaaaaaaaaaages

Agatha Christie modelled Poirot on Holmes in many ways.
Both are eccentric and have assistants who are continually astonished by their brilliance (Watson and Hastings) and of course Holmes and Poirot always outdo the Scotland Yard plods, Lestrade and Japp.
Of Agatha Christie's two main fictional detectives, I prefer Miss Marple to Poirot - the little Belgian sleuth seems to me to often get in the way of the story.

Agatha Christie modelled Poirot on Holmes in many ways.
Both are eccentric and have assistants who are continually astonished by their brilliance (Watson and Hastings) and of course Holmes and Poirot always outdo the Scotland Yard plods, Lestrade and Japp.
Of Agatha Christie's two main fictional detectives, I prefer Miss Marple to Poirot - the little Belgian sleuth seems to me to often get in the way of the story.

Agreed. I prefer Miss Marple. Love watching it when its on the telly

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Pretty Woman The Musical
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

25th Jun 2024 @ 7:30 pm
More info..

Inspiration The Poor Relation (Open Mic Night)

The Welcome Inn, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼