Pubs reopening June 29th

He's a great operator. I don't know the Southern Star but the Salmon is a fabulous pub. He actually has the odd pint around Douglas Street so he knows the area.

Personally I wouldn't touch a pub on Barrack Street but best of luck to him đź‘Ť
Barrack St can be a goldmine. It's one of the main gateways to town.

And with the Fort next to it, there is definitely room for business. Just got to figure it out.

Fingers crossed for him. It's a nice bar.

Delighted.
It was that name for eons as the oldest bar in the city and one of the oldest in the country.

Hope he makes a great go of it. The Southern Star seems to have been a roaring success

Agreed, it's great news. Should have been called the Gateway all along, hopefully the name is there to stay now.

Not sure of your opinion SoundMan but I know you're a fellow pub lover, and from what I can ascertain the oldest pubs in Ireland are -

Sean's Bar Athlone
The Brazen Head Dublin
The Gateway Bar Cork

Is there anywhere else that is up there with those three?

And...

Does the Gateway still count given that it has been closed and has traded under different names?

Agreed, it's great news. Should have been called the Gateway all along, hopefully the name is there to stay now.

Not sure of your opinion SoundMan but I know you're a fellow pub lover, and from what I can ascertain the oldest pubs in Ireland are -

Sean's Bar Athlone
The Brazen Head Dublin
The Gateway Bar Cork

And...

Does the Gateway still count given that it has been closed and has traded under different names?
The Gateway would still count as the record would apply to the building/premises rather than the name I'd say.

Besides, at least it still operates as a pub.

Sean's Bar Athlone
The Brazen Head Dublin
The Gateway Bar Cork

And...

Sean's claims to be the oldest in the world

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Lyra
Live At The Marquee

16th Jun 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Curtin // Keating: Sit Stand Smoke

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼