Official UEFA Champions League 23/24 Thread

Dave mcintyre...Bernardo has never taken a penalty for city, Berbardo misses ....co commentator...i reckon the keeper did his homework,ðŸ˜

He hadn't taken one for City in normal/extra time, but has has taken at least one in a shoot-out.

In the 2019 shoot-out with Chelsea he scored one and put it right down the centre against...yep, Kepa. And Kepa was seen giving Lunin advice in the build-up to the shoot-out last night.

Lunin took a chance but it was an educated guess and it paid off, fair play.

A few psychological things from this...

1. Modric whacked his ball into the crowd in frustration. City fans took an age to return the ball, which maybe gave Bernardo a bit too much time to think about it. Had he always planned on going down the centre? Who know.

2. Maybe it's a smart move from a keeper to stay in the middle for the first pen. Even if it doesn't work out, it plants a seed in the mind of the remaining takers that going down the middle is even higher risk than usual.

'We prepared it with the goalkeeping coach and there were three players with whom we had doubts about whether to stay in the middle or not,' Lunin told Marca afterwards.

"I needed to take a risk with one of the kicks, we picked one (to stay in the middle) and thank goodness it worked out in our favour"

They're a bunch of complete spazzers.

The premier league is the centre of the universe. After tonight no English club in the last 4 of either main competition.

It’s a complete bubble they’re in.

You see the likes of Branthwaite quoted at €80m+ without an international cap.

If he was in the BL Bayern would pick him up for €15-20m.

I saw a 10 year European football net spend list.

Real and Bayern are 18th and 19th. Sandwiched between Palace/Bournemouth and Forest.

All english clubs in top 12 bar PSG/Barca/AC Milan.

And after being favourites for getting the 5th CL spot the abject performances of the english teams this season has fucked it completely.

Liverpool embarrassed in EL v the first semi-competent team they played.

Arsenal with a piss easy group needed penalties to overcome Porto and didn’t really lay a glove on Bayern even with a spurs reject at centre half.

City only knocked out a bunch of danish farmers who had previously knocked out Utd.

It’s a lovely shiny product but definitely not the best league in the world.

Some of these European coaches must be jealous as fuck after out-coaching their English counterparts and seeing the enormous transfer budgets afforded to them.

Real and Bayern are 18th and 19th. Sandwiched between Palace/Bournemouth and Forest.

And after being favourites for getting the 5th CL spot the abject performances of the english teams this season has fucked it completely.

Arsenal with a piss easy group needed penalties to overcome Porto and didn’t really lay a glove on Bayern even with a spurs reject at centre half.

City only knocked out a bunch of danish farmers who had previously knocked out Utd.

Some of these European coaches must be jealous as fuck after out-coaching their English counterparts and seeing the enormous transfer budgets afforded to them.

Top post.

You see it in the Red Cafe forum

Fellas saying Championship teams would beat most European sides. Totally delusional Brit crap.

If Lukaku wasnt a total donkey Inter should have won the final last year. Madrid outplayed Liverpool in their two recent final meeting. Villareal turned over United in the Europa final

The idea the premier league is the best by some distance is nonsense. They pay the highest wages. Theres a big difference.

Top post.

Fellas saying Championship teams would beat most European sides. Totally delusional Brit crap.

If Lukaku wasnt a total donkey Inter should have won the final last year. Madrid outplayed Liverpool in their two recent final meeting. Villareal turned over United in the Europa final

The idea the premier league is the best by some distance is nonsense. They pay the highest wages. Theres a big difference.
Whilst I agree what everyone is saying, what would you define as outplaying a team? Does winning a game mean you outplay a team or would it be stats based, scoreline side?

But OT’s post is nailed on.

Top post.

Out of interest what league do ye both think is the strongest in Europe?

Liverpool were very much second best in the two finals against Madrid.

No shame in losing to a better team.
In Paris, I wouldn’t agree that was the case. Courtois got MOTM. That says enough. But Madrid did win the trophy and that’s all that matters.

I don’t think losing means a team was outplayed. I think City outplayed Madrid last night if I’m honest but didn’t have the finishing touch. It happens.

But the PL is certainly in a bubble of its own hype.

Liverpool were very much second best in the two finals against Madrid.

No shame in losing to a better team.

In the Kiev final Liverpool were well in it, arguably having the better of it, until Salah's injury. Real were the better side for the hour after that & deserved the win. Liverpool were shell-shocked by the Karius mistakes. Would've preferred to have just lost 1-0 to that magnificant Bale goal. You can't do much with a moment of elite quality like that.

In the Paris final Liverpool were unlucky. Real created very little and Courtois had a cracker of a game - MOTM if I recall? In a very Real Madrid way they took the only real chance of quality that that had all night & hung on in for the win.

Not sure how anyone could look at that game and think "Real Madrid really outplayed Liverpool tonight" though.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Lyra
Live At The Marquee

16th Jun 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Stand-up Comedy Club: Thursday Showcase

The Roundy, Tomorrow @ 8:30pm

More events ▼