Lent - What are you giving up ?

I’m not religious but normally I give a fair bit up for Lent each year, more so as a personal test than anything .

Granted , it all went out the window last year but this year I’ll give it a shot I reckon.

I think I will give up ;

Coffee.
Watching TV, apart from sport.
Crisps.
Fizzy drinks .
Beer.
Chocolate .
Fun.

Anybody else give anything up for Lent ?

Last edited:
I’m not religious but normally I give a fair bit up for Lent each year, more so as a personal test than anything .

Granted , it all went out the window last year but this year I’ll give it a shot I reckon.

I think I will give up ;

Coffee.
Crisps.
Beer.
Chocolate .
Fun.

Fcukin hell BB, that's fairly draconian.

Personally speaking, I have haunting memories of effectively having to give up sweets and biscuits as a child - lived out the country and my parents wouldn't buy any for the 7 week duration.

Ever since have never once attempted any such sacrifices. Dry Jan, dry Nov, lent etc etc just isn't for me.

I think I will give up ;

Coffee.
Crisps.
Beer.
Chocolate .
Fun.

That's tough going tbf. Don't understand the why if you are not religious 🙄

I used to try as a kid but never managed the full Lent.

Became an adult and realised it was the Catholic church trying to make us just that little bit more miserable.

Decided nah, down with that kinda thing.

That's tough going tbf. Don't understand the why if you are not religious 🙄

I used to try as a kid but never managed the full Lent.

Became an adult and realised it was the Catholic church trying to make us just that little bit more miserable.

Decided nah, down with that kinda thing.

More of a personal challenge to be honest , to see if I can do it.
Lent is just a good time frame
I quite like the thought of not being dependant or addicted to anything so I like the idea of not doing stuff for a short amount of time.

6 weeks is no time to be honest.

No harm to sacrifice for a few weeks , things will be all the sweeter then after Easter .

Last edited:
More of a personal challenge to be honest , to see if I can do it.
Lent is a good time target more than anything .

No harm to sacrifice for a few weeks , things will be all the sweeter then after Easter .

Yeah I guess it's a good time to try to get into better habits. Trick is to keep going with them though.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Pretty Woman The Musical
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

28th Jun 2024 @ 7:30 pm
More info..

A Bend In The Road

St. Peters Cork, Today @ 10am

More events ▼