Housewives

OD's thread shows clearly that there is a trend towards parents making decisions based on clear reasoning of what's best for the family rather than traditional stereotypes.

However, how do women view housewives?
Would you consider being one?
Would you find it satisfying?

If the decision was made that one income could support the family, and it happened to be his, would you be too proud to stop working? Alot of women argue that women have spent enough time at home, and have the choice now to work.

I don't see it as a choice to work; I see it as a choice between work and home. That's what independence and freedom is.
And I would take it if the offer were there.

My mum was very annoyed when I mentioned that if the circumstances were favourable, I would seriously consider leaving work and staying at home, and she seemed horrified. She's a fiercely indpendent woman, who was forced to leave the civil service as she married before 1973. As far as she's concerned, she didn't ensure we all went to college so that we could stay at home like she had to.

My point is that we now have the choice.

I can't wait to move on with my career, develop it, get more experience, but I'm also a little mother chicken apparently, and would be just as proud to raise my kids. Even until school age - and that's more choice!

I've actually even thought of not to bother with little runts ( enough nieces and nephews) and just living a very good life.

Im off to a private club tonight, I might just get a taste for this sort of thing.

If we were finacially stable enough for one parent to stay at home and I earned less then I'd have no problem with being a stay at home mom.

I don't think it would be the most satisfying job for me but i'd be happy enough to raise my kids and take care of the family home. As soon as the kids go off to school there would be nothing to stop me from working partime again if I wanted too.
I think it's a hard job, staying at home all day, making dinners, cleaning, washing and minding babies but i'm sure its all worth it when its your own family.

When I was a child I wouldn't have liked to be passed back and forward between minders and nusery's..its nice to have your mam at home I think

I would love to get in a financial position where I could offer my partner the choice of being a housewife. How practical it would be is questionable. Although, with the cost of childcare, it could also be seen as financially better.

That said, I would never expect my partner to be a housewife. I would just like to be able to provide the choice.

I presume you mean only when kids come along? If he was earning a fair bit more it'd make alot more sense and I do want one partner to be a full-time parent, at least for the first 4 years till they start school. Personally I think I'd be fed-up at home all day, but then who knows, I might find I have homebody genes I never knew about.
Either way there's no shame in it. I've seen friends of mine have babies, go back to work and are just k******ed from all the effort of being a parent and working full-time. I don't want that and I don't think it's good for the child.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Niamh Murphy & Declan Sinnott
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

23rd Nov 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Tony Milner

The Welcome Inn, Tomorrow @ 10:30pm

More events ▼