England are fucked

http://home.skysports.com/worldcup/article.asp?hlid=390311&CPID=4&clid=114&lid=4161&title=Thoughtful+Sven+knows+starting+XI

Sven Goran Eriksson has confirmed he already knows his starting XI for England's opening World Cup game.
The Swede has revealed little, but did admit that Aaron Lennon would not be in it - despite his Man of the Match display against Belarus on Thursday.
Eriksson says his best team will start England's next two friendlies against Hungary and Jamaica.
"If everyone is fit for the first game in the World Cup, I know my team," he said.
"Lennon might not start but he can be on the bench and then it depends on how the game goes. I think he will be very useful in the World Cup.
"I didn't gamble with him. I saw him a lot for Tottenham and every game he did very well.
"It was a difficult decision to prefer him to Shaun Wright-Phillips but Lennon deserves to be there on form.
"The intention is to start with the best team in both friendlies against Hungary and Jamaica.
"But if someone is tired or has a small injury, we will not risk that player.
"We will start the competition in a 4-4-2. At the moment, my midfield is built with Joe Cole on the left, Gerrard and Lampard in the centre and Beckham on the right.
"Then we will see match after match. That is why I have tried 4-1-3-2 in the past. Unfortunately we don't have any English Makelele."
Eriksson remains hugely confident ahead of the World Cup finals.
"We have to achieve a better result than in the 2002 World Cup," he told L'Equipe.
"I am at the top of the ski-jump, and I dream to land in final at Berlin on July 9!
"Today's team is stronger than four years ago, with more experience. Each day it is a little more mine. I have modelled it all along the five and a half years I have spent here.
"This country deserves to experience again the ultimate emotion."
Eriksson insists the English passion for the game is second to none in the world.
"At the weekend I go to the stadiums and I look at the fervour around the game - this is unique," he added.
"People are here one hour before kick-off in the rain, wind and cold, talking about football, singing, while it is freezing. That is incredible! That is England!
"The press can write what they want about me, I don't care! They won't change at all what I am.
"Most of the people here don't care about what is said or written about me.
"They read the newspapers and throw it in the basket, and forget it as quickly as they read it.
"What is sad in this country is they mix football business and private life. That is something I will never understand.
"I have loved each day I have spent at the helm of England team … except when we were defeated in Northern Ireland 1-0. It was the worst night of my life here.
Eriksson is already being linked with a host of jobs - the latest being South Africa.
"Whatever my destiny might be, it will not affect my approach of the World Cup," he insisted.
"We have a real opportunity to win it! I have the same dream as my players and the fans - win.
"The only certainty is my desire to stay in football after the job, as a manager either with a club or a national team, I am open. "But whatever the next job I will accept, it will be easier than now. Except one job: Brazilian coach, but that seems quite unrealistic."

Tonight he's picking Carragher in front of Terry and Ferdinand. If he's going down that road surely it should be Ferdinand in the midfield role with Carragher alongside Terry. Then you have Owen up front on his own. I can't see Owen fitting comfortably into this role (the guy can't possibly be match fit, how can Sven expect him to play up on his own?). He should have brought Defoe (even though I'm not a big fan of his) purely because he is fit, has a bit of pace and can finish.

A week before the big games start and he's still "experimenting". The guy is utterly clueless.

I fancy england to make the semis.I'll be in liverpool for the day of their first match,should be good laugh,I fully intend shouting for Svens Boys

afeencalleddan said:
A week before the big games start and he's still "experimenting". The guy is utterly clueless.

yep. completely. I wouldn't put it past paraguay to beat them in the first match.

Rebelred said:
I fancy england to make the semis.I'll be in liverpool for the day of their first match,should be good laugh,I fully intend shouting for Svens Boys
I can't see them getting past the quarters unless something ridiculous happens and Eriksson stumbles across his actual strongest team.

afeencalleddan said:
I tipped a draw in this game a couple of weeks ago but Santa Cruz is out. Still, Paraguay are always tough nuts in the World cup.

5-1 to win and 12-5 the draw

might stick a fiver on them.

Langer Dan said:
earra they were pitiful the other night against Belarus, theyl do well to make the quarters without Rooney.
I don't think Rooney's absence makes too much of a difference. The wrong team would have been picked anyway. With Rooney there he probably would have stuck with Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard and Cole in midfield - another recipe for disaster.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Jackie Fabulous (Americas Got Talent) Plus Guests
City Limits, Coburg St.

5th Oct 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

DJ Roscoe

Crane Lane Theatre, Today @ 11:30pm

More events ▼