Cork tragedies that have largely faded in time..

I was just thinking there how some Cork tragedies have faded into distant memories.

Does anyone remember the two Tomlins (I think) kids who died on the Cork Swansea Ferries? Some fumes came up from the system and they died in their sleep. Sad. Was it the 80's? Or were they Welsh on a trip to Cork?

How things fade with time. I'm sure it's fresh in their families memory

S

I was just thinking there how some Cork tragedies have faded into distant memories.

Does anyone remember the two Tomlins (I think) kids who died on the Cork Swansea Ferries? Some fumes came up from the system and they died in their sleep. Sad. Was it the 80's? Or were they Welsh on a trip to Cork?

How things fade with time. I'm sure it's fresh in their families memory

S
Yes, I remember that. Late 80's I'd say. Morbid thread all the same.

"Tragedy struck in August 1992 when two teenagers, a brother and sister, died in their cabin en route to Cork. They had been overcome by fumes, traced to an alteration that had been made to the venting system in a septic tank. It proved impossible to determine where and when the alteration had been made"

My mam was telling me the other day about the wall collapsing near the Mercy I think and people were killed. Years ago.

Apparently, there were men on their way home from work and they threw off their jackets to help and all their pay packets were robbed

1942: five Cork harbour pilots killed when their launch / boat was caught under the propellor of the Irish Polar ship leaving Cobh.

B

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Gilbert O'Sullivan
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

10th Sep 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Henry Glassie: Fieldwork (G) [Pat Collins Season]

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 8:05pm

More events ▼