Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Definitely going for size which might explain some of the changes. If Connolly, Hayes and Horgan inside and we go with 2 inside then is Horgan going to be roving forward, that should be interesting 😏. He's not exactly known for his distribution.
Hoggy doesn’t have the legs for the roving roll but christ he has the hurling and shooting skills, would be interesting if it happens

“We know that Clare are going to be hurting as well after their loss to Limerick. We just have to be in the game a way more than what we were and we didn’t play the game at a fast-enough pace either.
“We were too pedestrian and that doesn’t suit our game. We didn’t move the ball fast enough and didn’t restart quickly enough – sidelines, short frees, anything like that needed to be done a lot quicker to get that intensity into the game and we didn’t do it.”

Cork will have Declan Dalton and Shane Kingston back after hamstring injuries ruled them out last week.
Another defeat would not definitively eliminate Cork, but it would leave any hopes of qualification resting on having to beat Limerick on May 11.
A strong response will involve improving on the various mistakes as well as trusting the work put in up to now.
“At the end of the day, you have to look at the game and see where you can improve things,” Ryan says.
“The disappointing thing for us and the players is that we don’t feel it’s a reflection of the work that we’ve put in and the way that we’ve been going in training and stuff like that.
“Obviously, you were going down, the first game in Walsh Park since it’s been done up and Waterford being written off. In fairness, they brought a huge level of intensity to it, and we spoke about how the Waterford team in the league wasn’t going to be the team for the championship.
“I think everybody knew that but, for whatever reason, we weren’t at that pitch of it from the get-go and they drove the tempo of the match.
“Our efficiency in the first half was poor. We didn’t get the ball in enough to our inside two, we didn’t use the ball as well as we could have and there were shots, well within scoring range, that we didn’t take.
“We need to look at that, how we can get more ball into the right areas to get our shots off.”

Offaly v Cork - Allianz Hurling League Division 1 Group A

Daire O Leary came on as a sub v clare in the munster league. He didnt look to be anywhere near the level needed for Senior intercounty.
Colin O brien was excellent for Mary I but he has a bit to do on his hurling to play senior intercounty.
I would rate Sean Twomey a bit higher than him and he is struggling to make it.
Firstly I wouldn't judge any player in one game in early January in a make shift competition. I can recall Daire O'Leary standing out at centre-field last year in the Premier Intermediate Championship v Ballinhassig. Secondly my reference is made to the slow transition of players from the U-20 team to the senior team particularly under Pat Ryan, where are Micheal Mullins, Ben Cunningham, Shane Kingston of Ballinora and Sean Twomey is only getting game time this year. Daire O'Leary played well under Kieran Kingston but received an injury while marking Martin Keoghan v KK in a league game and was left on the field too long while injured which set him back. After recovering he needed to be re-instated but development and game time is key which respective Cork managements don't want to know. O'Leary would give options in defence at full-back and wing-back rather than reverting to a full-back who doesn't need to show any form to be selected or putting T.O'C back wing-back for Coleman although both have repeatedly failed in that position. O'Leary is the robust type player you stated before Cork don't select.

Colin O'Brien is another robust type and when he played under 20 for Cork he stood out in the Munster championship of 2020 but PR and Co. didn't know what to do with him by the AI final. He could win his own ball in the air or on the ground, he was very good from frees and excellent from sidelines. He had more strings to his bow than Sean Twomey but Twomey did well in two league games he started this year and then got injured. After he recovered I believe he needed more time but went straight in v Waterford last Sunday mainly because of Deccie Dalton's injury. He is now named as last sub for Clare and the Roche twins are dismissed entirely while Cahalane, Lehane, Harnedy and Hoggy all started championship. This is how they operate, how can players develop or a team gel under this carry on? If Daire O'Leary, Conor O'Callaghan and the Roche's aren't up to the standard it should be known last year rather than selecting them in this years league panel.

Like Colin O'Brien, Brian O'Sullivan also had a good Fitzgibbon Tournament this year but he quit the Cork senior hurling panel last year and went to America for the summer. He was excellent for his club in the senior championship when he returned.

Last edited:
For R & B and plenty others. D Fitz. is an all star midfielder you scored more points last week from play (4) at midfield than other member of the Cork team and ye/you want to take him out of midfield
And yet Waterford stormed through the middle unmolested time and time again. And don’t you think he could score a bit more if he was a little closer to goal. As for all stars, give me a fuckin break, they are a snapshot of a year gone by, let’s live in the here and now and start picking a balanced team with players playing in positions that suit their talents not some award they won a few years ago

Sat on it for the night.
He's had balls
to make changes, just not all the right changes.
Pat's gone for physicality which is good to see, my only worry is lack of pace in the forward line.
Selections and injuries prob dictated it to be fair. But I would have balanced it a bit more.
Clares backs are fast, they could do us damage going forward.
I just hope that there is no damage and we don't expect Jack O Connor Robbie O Flynn Shane Kingston to come on with 20 minutes left to try save us.
Tommy O Connell very hard done by.
Mellerick and Cahalane unlucky to miss out.
Coleman merits his performance last week, and Tommy O Connell fell over it too is my opinion.
Tommy was dropped back and swapped with Coleman so Coleman could try get into the game.
Sore this morning?

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Horgan Brothers: Princes Of The Picture Theatre
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

30th May 2024 @ 6:30 pm
More info..

Jazz Improv! All Players Welcome

Crane Lane Theatre, Tomorrow @ 9pm

More events ▼