Cork Hurlers - Part 2

If as I now claim? Are you slow or what? I live in Cork, I support cork, it’s a natural thing to say we

I didn’t see much appreciation for Deccie Dalton over the last 5 years. Too slow, his hurling isn’t fast enough, doesn’t have the temperament for inter county hurling, that’s all I heard. Pity WE didn’t appreciate him a few years earlier isn’t it. Tim O Mahony is another one we dismiss too easy because he might do some rash things. He has the heart of a lion

Every player on the cork panel should be bursting a gut every time they put on the cork jersey. If it’s not in them they should be replaced by someone else who has it. That team we picked for Waterford was lacking that in spades.
So some of the players selected v Waterford were not bothered?
Is that what you're saying?

Deccie has had loads of support as has Tim.
Deccie has been plagued by injury over the years so it's more probable that's the main reason for him not cementing his place.

In relation to both on Sunday - neither had the fitness to last the full game so it's reasonable to think that neither are as fit as they need to be.

Every player on the cork panel should be bursting a gut every time they put on the cork jersey. If it’s not in them they should be replaced by someone else who has it. That team we picked for Waterford was lacking that in spades.
Amen, too many unfortunately, perhaps they believed it was a foregone conclusion and were complacent.

Is Darragh O'Donovan back for the Cork game?
I'd have Brian Roche going toe to toe with him, and probably Tim on WOD.
Ethan Twomey can be happy with his performance the last day but he might be more effective coming off the bench in this one - it'll be up another notch in terms of physicality and it's not going to be James Owens so prob one of the more 'let it flow' refs.

Rob Downey on Hegarty, Millerick on Morrissey, Joyce on O'Neill. Couldn't have SOD on Gillane, it might be Eoin Downey, and SOD on Reidy or Adam English (who'll likely replace Casey). NOL hurled well against Clare but I would still be concerned of his ability to defend 1 on 1 against any of these lads.

Unlikely that we'll see any changes in the front six but following through on the midfield suggestion above I'd have Darragh in the half forward line, so Hayes and E Twomey to make way for Millerick and Roche. I'm scratching my head up front a bit. Hoggie played on a weak defender the last day, I think he'll find it much tougher getting a metre off Finn or Nash. Clare did a lot of their damage against Limerick through Duggan and SOD winning 50/50 long ball and then runners off them... maybe Connolly can win similar ball to SOD but we don't have a Duggan. Fitzgibbon and Barretts pace down the middle is essential.

I think PR will make one change - Robbie for Hayes. I'd agree with others that he looks a good bit off it right now but they'll probably consider him worth the gamble... it has to be closer to goal though, I've been impressed by him in the HF line, doesn't gather ball consistently.

over rated as a man marker at a time when cork had no one who was tight marking. Thats improved since
When Jamie Barron scored the goal v Cork Ger Millerick was the only defender to react once Jamie Barron broke a tackle from deep, he was the nearest to stopping Barron. Eoin Downey ran across Diarmuid Fitzgerald for the Clare man's goal in the Cork v Clare game and then Downey fell over, he had to stay goal side which I believe would have done at least. Jake Morris often referred to the tight marking of Millerick. Anytime Charleville play Fr O'Neill's at club level Millerick tracks Darragh Fitz. The amount of times Millerick has been taken out of his natural position of wing-back to track an opponent is huge. The likes of Mark Coleman is more of a stylish hurler but he's not a better defender than Ger Millerick. It would have made a lot more sense to move Millerick to wing-back and bring in Eoin Roche/Niall O'Leary on in the corner v Waterford rather than moving Tommy O'Connell back to wing-back.

Is Darragh O'Donovan back for the Cork game?
I'd have Brian Roche going toe to toe with him, and probably Tim on WOD.
Ethan Twomey can be happy with his performance the last day but he might be more effective coming off the bench in this one - it'll be up another notch in terms of physicality and it's not going to be James Owens so prob one of the more 'let it flow' refs.

Rob Downey on Hegarty, Millerick on Morrissey, Joyce on O'Neill. Couldn't have SOD on Gillane, it might be Eoin Downey, and SOD on Reidy or Adam English (who'll likely replace Casey). NOL hurled well against Clare but I would still be concerned of his ability to defend 1 on 1 against any of these lads.

Unlikely that we'll see any changes in the front six but following through on the midfield suggestion above I'd have Darragh in the half forward line, so Hayes and E Twomey to make way for Millerick and Roche. I'm scratching my head up front a bit. Hoggie played on a weak defender the last day, I think he'll find it much tougher getting a metre off Finn or Nash. Clare did a lot of their damage against Limerick through Duggan and SOD winning 50/50 long ball and then runners off them... maybe Connolly can win similar ball to SOD but we don't have a Duggan. Fitzgibbon and Barretts pace down the middle is essential.

I think PR will make one change - Robbie for Hayes. I'd agree with others that he looks a good bit off it right now but they'll probably consider him worth the gamble... it has to be closer to goal though, I've been impressed by him in the HF line, doesn't gather ball consistently.
Great post

When Jamie Barron scored the goal v Cork Ger Millerick was the only defender to react once Jamie Barron broke a tackle from deep, he was the nearest to stopping Barron. Eoin Downey ran across Diarmuid Fitzgerald for the Clare man's goal in the Cork v Clare game and then Downey fell over, he had to stay goal side which I believe would have done at least. Jake Morris often referred to the tight marking of Millerick. Anytime Charleville play Fr O'Neill's at club level Millerick tracks Darragh Fitz. The amount of times Millerick has been taken out of his natural position of wing-back to track an opponent is huge. The likes of Mark Coleman is more of a stylish hurler but he's not a better defender than Ger Millerick. It would have made a lot more sense to move Millerick to wing-back and bring in Eoin Roche/Niall O'Leary on in the corner v Waterford rather than moving Tommy O'Connell back to wing-back.
Was/is Mellerick injuried by any chance, if not, he should be an automatic pick at wing back in my book. Other posters rightly talk about the high scores Cork concede. Mellerick actually blocks, hooks and defends.

Was/is Mellerick injuried by any chance, if not, he should be an automatic pick at wing back in my book. Other posters rightly talk about the high scores Cork concede. Mellerick actually blocks, hooks and defends.

I sometimes wonder about this, when Barron came through he tried to get the block in instead of a hook for some reason, and in the second half he was all over the place on bennet and could have given away a penalty, despite the hype from some here don’t think he greatly improves the cork defence, possibly instead of o’mahoney but not great in the air imo

I dont think there is a physicality gap of huge significance. There may be a stamina gap through that physicality though. Clare were able to sustain it for 70 which is why we can stay with Limerick. This is the area where the red card probably hurt. Looking at O Donnells goal though , a lot of cork players didnt put effort into getting back

This is one of the reasons why cork need to settle on a selection
If anything I think Clare not being able to sustain their play against Limerick has been an issue for them.

I sometimes wonder about this, when Barron came through he tried to get the block in instead of a hook for some reason, and in the second half he was all over the place on bennet and could have given away a penalty, despite the hype from some here don’t think he greatly improves the cork defence, possibly instead of o’mahoney but not great in the air imo
Hey JF, I thought Mellerick was fine vs wford. I probably need to rewatch it but it would ruin my night...

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
I'm Grand Mam presents That's Showbiz
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

1st Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Local Groove Records

Crane Lane Theatre, Today @ 8:30pm

More events ▼