Bridge Collapse in Baltimore

Ship 'lost propulsion' and warned of crash - report​

The Dali container ship "lost propulsion" as it left the port and the crew on board had warned Maryland officials of a possible crash, according to ABC News, which cites an unclassified US intelligence report.
"The vessel notified MD Department of Transportation (MDOT) that they had lost control of the vessel and a collision with the bridge was possible," ABC quoted the US Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency as saying.
"The vessel struck the bridge causing a complete collapse."
And obviously no tugs near by to intervene

I organised for myself and a few pals to take part in a fundraiser for your club a couple of years ago.

Never knew ye were dubbed that until I was in conversation with a pal from The Dohenys.

Great nickname in fairness.
Fair play kid. Struggling to keep going with the club but few lads working hard to keep the show on the road

It's not a silly question but I would guess that it would take a significant amount of time to organise dropping an anchor for a 110,000 ton (101,605,000 kg) ship already travelling at 8 knots (4 metres per second) and it sounds like they didn't have much time BUT a few back of an envelope calculations....

The ship's momentum (mass x velocity) was 400,000,000 kg/metres/per sec. For an idea of the equivalent force to stop the ship, it would be the same as trying to stop a 737 airline that weighs 40,000 kg (2500 times lighter than the ship) going 2500 times faster than that ship (roughly 36,000 km/h).

There's no anchor and steel chain in the world that could bring that ship to a stop without snapping instantly if it got stuck in something or with it's weight it would take hours for it to slow down. A ship has to be stopped to put an anchor down.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
DJ Shadow
Cyprus Avenue, Caroline St.

5th Jul 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Not Another Disco

The Pavilion, Today @ 9pm

More events ▼