bonnie 'prince' billy

quincyk said:
cheers mate.would love to see him though!
have you seen him?

yeah 3 or 4 times

palace brothers played what's now the quad bar about 14 or 15 years ago

saw BPB in the lobby (probably the best gig i ever saw there) in '99 i think on the 'i see a darkness tour'

caught him at atp a few years after that and in dublin once

That lobby gig was really class alright, i remember that bass player had a lemon or something really strange like that. my friend met BPB last month coming out of subway in glasgow and he didnt say anything about coming to cork. he did put her on the guestlist for his galway gig though. sound guy

bpb cork trivia:

his pre-gig meal before the lobby show was in the uptown grill on maccurtain st, followed by a pint in the liberty bar before heading up to the lobby to catch stanley super 800's set.

BONNIE ‘PRINCE’ BILLY

- releases new album -
‘The Letting Go’
out 18 September 2006 on Domino

album preceded by barns new single ‘Cursed Sleep’ (out 24 July) *

http://www.dominorecordco.com

There are guitars, and strings. Amid the swell of sound and anticipation, there is a voice singing along, playing a part. More swells. Then the Bonnie ‘Prince’ intones:
When the numbers / Get too high
Of the dead / flying through the sky
Oh I / Don’t know why / Love comes to me

So begins The Letting Go. And so we realize how much we’ve missed Bonny since the last time, whenever it was. It’s always a fine moment to hear from him again.

Through the years and the shape-shifts of different albums, players and songs, the music of Bonnie ‘Prince’ Billy has proven to be an experience of sharing: Bonny sharing the songs with musicians for a new experience; Bonny sharing the record with you. What do you think?

The Letting Go is an overwhelming undertaking. As mentioned, there are strings-lovely charts that do so much more than just trace chord changes up and down the neck. Arrangements by Ryder McNair and Nico Muhly are threaded throughout the record, augmenting a simple quintet of players to provide a sixth sense. The deceptive nature of his band is on display from the top. ‘Filthy’ Jim White is known far and wide for his resource behind the drum kit and he proves it song after song, with sensitivity that provokes dynamic variety from skins, an acoustic depth to the room. Paul Oldham’s bass is a feeling accompaniment to Bonny’s guitar, played with brotherly clairvoyance and constancy. Young Emmett Kelly’s clean electric guitar lines roam within the web and suddenly shine, are blues and folk and r’n’b in shifting turn, guilelessly tactic and soulfully expressive. And up front with Bonny is the bewitching Dawn McCarthy of Faun Fables. Her vocal flights on those records can hardly prepare one for the intimacy and empathy of her harmonies and other voices on The Letting Go.

Recorded by Valgier Sigurdsson at the Greenhouse in Reykjavic, The Letting Go songs and tales are garlanded by the honest efforts of all these *people in an honest effort- as said above, a shared experience, to be shared with you. Antidote and inspiration to life, love, loneliness are sought; laughter is desired.

After all this, a set of songs that are lovely and take their turn as favourite; every day, another one.

Love comes to she and he that wait. And while they wait, let ‘em know about The Letting Go.

Bonnie ‘Prince’ Billy “The Letting Go”
Cat# : WIG182
Release date : September 18th 2006

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Lee Sessions Trad Trail
The Gables, Douglas St.

19th May 2024 @ 9:00 pm
More info..

Cops and Robert

Dwyers Of Cork, Tomorrow @ 10pm

More events ▼