A Energy Question - Urainium Vs Coal

What is the ratio in energy produced by Urainium Vs Coal

eg if 50 kg of Urainium produces so much energy how much coal would it take to produce the same amount of energy ?

What is the ratio in energy produced by Urainium Vs Coal

eg if 50 kg of Urainium produces so much energy how much coal would it take to produce the same amount of energy ?

Depends on what process you use. If one was to use a fast breeder reactor, using 99.3% U238, which is highly dodgy and a process we haven't quite perfected (although I believe it's being done in Russia and I have an inkling there's one in Japan), then the energy output, in megajoules is incredible, that 50Kg would produce 1,200,000,000 megajoules of energy.
To give you an idea of how much energy that is, it's enough to keep refilling and boiling your average kettle for 2,000 years.
Using a lower energy nuclear reactor, such as a pebble bed reactor, you'd get 60 times less energy, but still, you're looking at a good 30 odd years of kettle action.

The best quality coal would give 1,600 MJ of energy, which would keep that kettle lighting for 6 days.

Of course, those are pure numbers, in fact, most power plants are essentially a big kettle, with a turbine driven by steam and fundamentally, there isn't that big a difference between a coal and a nuclear plant in how they generate power.
The process of converting the energy into power tends to be about 80% efficient in nuclear plants and 50% in the very best coal plants, which makes coal look even worse in comparison.

So before conversion, you'd need 37.5 million tons of coal to replicate it, but with power plant efficiencies coming into play, it's more like 60 million tons of coal.
Hope that helps.

Be great if we could convert matter to energy using the Einstein equations. Unlimited clean power forever.

Like, using some sort of nuclear process?

No idea.

But isn't matter "simply" pure energy in a different form? If we could release this in a 100% efficient manner the results would be astronomical seeing as Energy = Mass(Lightspeed) squared.

As for the process, perhaps fusion? Forgive the ignorance.

No idea.

But isn't matter "simply" pure energy in a different form? If we could release this in a 100% efficient manner the results would be astronomical seeing as Energy = Mass(Lightspeed) squared.

As for the process, perhaps fusion? Forgive the ignorance.
Nuclear fission currently does this, as does fusion.

Fusion is possible, in fact they do it regularly down the road from me here at the JET facility, however commercial reactors are a long way away. The first reactor that may be self sustaining in fusion, the ITER isn't likely to achieve that until 2026 (although advances might manage it by 2018).

Anyway, I won't bore you with the details of the physics, just a simple overview. In fission, you essentially break atoms apart and the bits left over totalled together don't quite make up the same mass as what was there before. The difference is released as energy.

Fusion smashes atoms together and makes another atom, which is lighter than the atoms that were smashed together. With that, you usually combine two hydrogen atoms to make a helium atom.

It's very safe as helium can't really react with anything and hydrogen is extremely common. In comparison, the fragments left over from smashing bits together, called fission fragments, can be nasty, but not as bad as made out in the press or in the enviromental hysteria surrounding it.

Am I correct in saying that you would have far less nasty stuff to dispose of, if we could use fission instead of fusion ?

What are the nasty stuffs and how do they arise ?

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Jackie Fabulous (Americas Got Talent) Plus Guests
City Limits, Coburg St.

5th Oct 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

A Matter Of Time

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼