11.5m settlement

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0420/largest-settlement-ever-in-high-court-11-5m.html
Cullen Kennedy suffered injuries in a car crash in 2008 that left him permanently confined to a wheelchair.
Cullen was being driven to school by his mother Margaret Kennedy on 5 May 2008.
He was a rear-seat passenger and was restrained in a booster seat.
Ms Kennedy suffered a momentary lapse of concentration, the car crossed the centre of the road and struck another car head-on. She was uninsured at the time.
The Motor Insurance Bureau of Ireland will pay the settlement.
Cullen struck the windscreen and suffered catastrophic injuries.
He is now quadriplegic and cannot breathe without the assistance of a ventilator.
He is cared for on a 24-hour basis by his mother and maternal grandmother.
Prior to the accident, he was described as a top-of-the-class student who was healthy and very close to his grandparents.
Cullen was in court this morning where Justice Mary Irvine spoke with him.
Justice Irvine said it was an excellent settlement and she had never seen a better one.

The mother, driver of the car was uninsured???
Not sure what to make of this one, as the mother was at fault when she "suffered a momentary lapse of concentration"

who was actually sued here?

That would be interesting, as you hardly can sue the other driver for the mother's lack of attention.

Shouldn't be the mother taken to court for driving without insurance?

Edit:
The audio says that this case is from the Grandfather against the mother. So it's her fault but the family wins anyway...

That would be interesting, as you hardly can sue the other driver for the mother's lack of attention.

Shouldn't be the mother taken to court for driving without insurance?

Edit:
The audio says that this case is from the Grandfather against the mother. So it's her fault but the family wins anyway...

Thats my thoughts, yes I feel sorry for her son but its her fucking fault, she crossed over to the other side of the road cause she wasnt concentrating,
and with no insurance, what a load of crock

Interesting, she should have been prosecuted for having no insurance.

The child is innocent in all this it has to be said and I suppose the state would say why should the public pay for this childs care just because the driver was his mother.

They would say it should be treated as any other case would be and paid for by other drivers by way of their contribution to the pot.

However I'd be interested to know how they reached the figure and whether the mother should be made to contribute to that figure with any assets she has. ie. Does she have a house that she will still keep control of whilst this money is used to buy a property for her son when he's old enough? Shouldn't she be made to sell hers?

The Motor Insurance Bureau of Ireland will pay the settlement.

I feel bad for the kid, his life is ruined, and his family but at what point do people take responsibility for their own lives

This is like a guy with 22 properties crying wolf cos 1 was being taken off him... oh wait

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Bernard Casey (Local Gossip) and Guests
City Limits, Coburg St.

14th Sep 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Henry Glassie: Fieldwork (G) [Pat Collins Season]

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 8:05pm

More events ▼