Cork Hurlers - Part 2

From the 2017/2018 U21s you’d have to say that Darragh Fitzgibbon is the only one who has pushed up a level in the last few years. Granted others have been dogged by serious injuries.

Great post. For anyone who didn't see his video analysis this is it. The poor tackle from Hayes, the half back line pushed way up and then the failure of any of those, including Tim to run back before Clare goaled. Nothing he said is unreasonable.

TOM was on the other side of the field marking his man. I've no problem with TOM in this clip. Agree he is a forward.

Am I the only one who sees Cokeman as the main fault in this clip. Cork had a 3 on 2. Hayes played a weak tackle. Coleman was behind Barrett, my thoughts are Barrett figured Coleman ( fresh sub on) would track the run but Coleman shot in and gambled, missed a block leaving Clare to pop the ball into space.

Last edited:
In a way this is the best circumstances for Cork to catch Limerick in Munster this year. If we can do it then our year can be turned around.

Tickets now sold out. First game to sell out the new stadium? Don't think the Clare game did this year?
Thats mad, surely some tickets will go back up on the Friday like the last time, what's the capacity of the pairc when its full, 45,000? There was 37,000 at the Clare game

Thats mad, surely some tickets will go back up on the Friday like the last time, what's the capacity of the pairc when its full, 45,000?
Not anymore I don’t think. Approx 40k. Blackrock End sold out last week but was by no means full. I understand the fire safety officer was unhappy with the crowd control at the Liam Miller and Munster rugby matches.

TOM was on the other side of the field marking his man. I've no problem with TOM in this clip.

Am I the only one who sees Cokeman as the main fault in this clip. Cork had a 3 on 2. Hayes played a weak tackle. Coleman was behind Barrett, my thoughts are Barrett figured Coleman ( fresh sub on) would track the run but Coleman shot in and gambled, missed a block leaving Clare to pop the ball into space.
No, one of the first things you coach young defenders - if you're breached on one wing the opposite wing back has to sprint to cover the centre. Martin Fogarty does a brilliant video on the connection required between all 6 defenders (+midfielders) to give you the best chance of stopping the opposition attack. It's worth a watch.

TOM was on the other side of the field marking his man. I've no problem with TOM in this clip. Agree he is a forward.

I would agree with you that Coleman leaves a huge hole by rushing up to make the block but you couldn't say he was more at fault than Tim (who if he goes as soon as the pop pass to Ryan is made would get to the D for sure) or Darragh or Joyce who don't even bother sprinting back.

Hayes' tackle is from a different age of hurling. There is no way you will a see a Limerick forward (or a Clare, Waterford or KK one for that matter) use that technique... his two hands are on the hurley so instead of opening his arms and soaking in the Clare player he bounces him off and then starts walking again. Hayes needs to bring way more aggression to his game or it just won't happen for him.

To be fair to Cork, this clip was the polar opposite of what we saw in the first half where we got the bodies back, particularly the 2 wing forwards and we were putting in the hits. They did the compare and contrast better on the Sunday game on the day of the match. So are they just flahed (they shouldn't be) or is the defensive system and technique poorly coached, or is it individual players not doing what they should? It's probably a combination of all 3.

And fair fucks to Barrett also, the only player putting in any effort in that whole passage of play.

They have gears and levels we can't match though. I am as optimistic as they come but Clare came from 7 down to being 5 ahead in 20 mins. Physically as well we'll struggle and our half back line will be wiped on present form. We'll need to be taking all our goal chances anyway.
If Cork can continue to improve the way they did v Clare then they can beat the Limerick team that stutters in Munster. Limerick in the AI is a different machine altogether.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Crash Test Dummies
Cyprus Avenue, Caroline St.

1st Nov 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Darragh O Rourke & Nicole Lonegan

Seventy Seven, Today @ 11pm

More events ▼