Cork Hurlers - Part 2

TOM doesn't put in the hard yards. I've been attacked on here in the past for pointing this out. Also this idea that he is some sort of tough, aggressive hurler is simply not true. He would have done very well in the past but a bit like Mark Colenan the modern game doesn't suit him. That's nothing against the bloke, it's just reality.
I really confused looking at the clip. His lack of awareness was something else. It’s almost as if he thought he was a wing forward rather than a wing back. What did he think would happen if he ran back? 🤷‍♂️

I really confused looking at the clip. His lack of awareness was something else. It’s almost as if he thought he was a wing forward rather than a wing back. What did he think would happen if he ran back? 🤷‍♂️
He is excellent as an attacking half-back, great man to carry the ball and get inspirational scores. However a half-back also has to defend, something which he just doesn't seem able to do.
Tbh a lot of people on here seem to be focused on when someone has the ball whereas 80% of your job is off the ball, tracking back, closing down runs etc etc. Cork just don't do enough of that.

He is excellent as an attacking half-back, great man to carry the ball and get inspirational scores. However a half-back also has to defend, something which he just doesn't seem able to do.
Tbh a lot of people on here seem to be focused on when someone has the ball whereas 80% of your job is off the ball, tracking back, closing down runs etc etc. Cork just don't do enough of that.
Very good post. He did ok under the high ball on Duggan in the first half but he really struggled against the wind. I’m not sure do we have the players for that off the ball work.

Very good post. He did ok under the high ball on Duggan in the first half but he really struggled against the wind. I’m not sure do we have the players for that off the ball work.
We do. I'm just assuming that Brian Roche's form dropped off the edge of a cliff and that's why he wasn't picked but dropping TOC was criminal.
I like PR and he's a sound guy but he should've had a clear out last year and anybody who either couldn't or wouldn't buy into a manic 15 man defence when you don't have the ball should've been gone. Much and all as I would love him to win an A-I Hoggie can't keep up that pace and once one doesn't do it then it permeates through the team.
Whoever comes in next year needs to wipe the slate clean and play fellas with massive hunger and aggression. PR should've but didn't and he'll fall on his sword because of it.

We do. I'm just assuming that Brian Roche's form dropped off the edge of a cliff and that's why he wasn't picked but dropping TOC was criminal.
I like PR and he's a sound guy but he should've had a clear out last year and anybody who either couldn't or wouldn't buy into a manic 15 man defence when you don't have the ball should've been gone. Much and all as I would love him to win an A-I Hoggie can't keep up that pace and once one doesn't do it then it permeates through the team.
Whoever comes in next year needs to wipe the slate clean and play fellas with massive hunger and aggression. PR should've but didn't and he'll fall on his sword because of it.
This is as close to the reality of our situation as any post I’ve read on here. Harnedy, while he works harder, just doesn’t have the legs to do this either. Others seem to not want to do it. Hard work was a non negotiable with Pat Ryan’s Under 20 teams, it should have been with his senior team too from the get go. There needs to be a culture change within the group and they need to be coached properly

This is very true but there’s plenty of other questions that need to be asked too, for one where was our player at 12, why wasn’t he bursting a gut to get back to cover Tim’s man in the knowledge Tim was going to burst a gut to get back and close the space? This is a much wider cancer than just Tim

TOM doesn't put in the hard yards. I've been attacked on here in the past for pointing this out. Also this idea that he is some sort of tough, aggressive hurler is simply not true. He would have done very well in the past but a bit like Mark Coleman the modern game doesn't suit him. That's nothing against the bloke, it's just reality.
I put him in my team recently and the ln thought about it about it a little more.
Watched the game back, well 60 mins and I agree he didn’t put in the yards and this tough aggressive hurler, I don’t see it. I don’t think he’s been helped by management never playing him in a role consistently. He played FF a couple of years back and showed promise but then he was moved somewhere else and then ended up midfield during the league and wing back for Championship. He’s not going to get us winning big games, think there is some mental frailty with some of these lads. The kingstons, TOM, nice hurlers and great against Dublin but that’s not going to get you up the steps. Blooding these lads like ST is the way forward, he has a manic workrate and that’s what we need.
BR is another. They like work, and no lack of quality. Both big players under age.

Last edited:
Great post

So true. He frustrates the life out of me. I'd love to see him go to toe to with Will O'Donoghue, for example, but he'd just leave him off half the time and be the cause of us losing.

PC
NOL, ED, SOD
GM, CJ, RD
DF, MC
DD, SB, SH
RO'F, AC, PH

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Funny Fridays Special
City Limits, Coburg St.

24th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Phrases - Decks Out