Immigration Thread

For the third time, they are doing it already but not frequently enough.
Why not?

They do not have the staff and the disruption would be a huge negative for the above reasons.

It won't stop anyone claiming asylum, they will just do it at the border with N.I. instead of anywhere else.

We have immigration checks at the airport don’t we ?

Does that stop anyone claiming asylum ?

They are all public servants. Doing entirely different jobs. The original post with your man Bruce was as useful as tits on a bull. Might as well be asking the fellas in WH Smith to be doing border control.
Where was it that I wrote that Customs Officers do the job of Immigration Officers ?

What I specifically said was they are all public/ civil servants leeches.

Why not?

They do not have the staff and the disruption would be a huge negative for the above reasons.
Because the government have their heads buried in the sand with this immigration crisis?
The ministers (s) in charge of this crisis are extremely incompetent?
They have the staff to do it once a month but not to do it 10.15 or 20 times a month? Use the same staff, you are grasping at the silly straws now.

Because the government have their heads buried in the sand with this immigration crisis?
The ministers (s) in charge of this crisis are extremely incompetent?
They have the staff to do it once a month but not to do it 10.15 or 20 times a month? Use the same staff, you are grasping at the silly straws now.
You can arrive in Dublin Airport and lose your passport somewhere between the plane and border control and still be let in.

You send the migrant back over the border, they get on another bus and get past the checkpoint the next time.

It would seriously inconvenience all the people who cross the border everyday and have been doing so for years.

The much fought for all-island economy and socio-economic links between North and South are even more developed now than they were during the Troubles.

People do not want to go back 30 years and we would be an international laughing stock all over some asylum seekers.

How exactly are you going to patrol all the many back roads and fields that crisscross the border?

They can across the channel in a small dingy so it would not even be a challenge to them.

We once had 2 highly armed armies and 2 police forces trying to stop people crossing the border for 30+ years and they couldn't stop it.

Any small few checks would only be tokenistic and more importantly ineffective.

You can arrive in Dublin Airport and lose your passport somewhere between the plane and border control and still be let in.

You send the migrant back over the border, they get on another bus and get past the checkpoint the next time.

It would seriously inconvenience all the people who cross the border everyday and have been doing so for years.

The much fought for all-island economy and socio-economic links between North and South are even more developed now than they were during the Troubles.

People do not want to go back 30 years and we would be an international laughing stock all over some asylum seekers.

How exactly are you going to patrol all the many back roads and fields that crisscross the border?

They can across the channel in a small dingy so it would not even be a challenge to them.

We once had 2 highly armed armies and 2 police forces trying to stop people crossing the border for 30+ years and they couldn't stop it.

Any small few checks would only be tokenistic and more importantly ineffective.
Tbh I'm done replying to you as it IS going around in circles. You don't think it is a good idea, fair enough. As it is being done already on a small scale just needs increasing, I think it is a good idea and you won't change my mind on that.

It is not a transport companies responsibility in the first place.

We cannot have a border with checkpoints for too many reasons.

Random checkpoints are pointless and would rightly be only seen as ineffective and tokenistic.
Back in the day when I was driving coaches across to the UK and indeed The Continent.

On this side all we looked for was the ticket, which the passenger would have gotten from a travel agent.
So on the way to Rosslare Port we would advise the passengers on the PA system that they should have their passports ready in case authorities in Rosslare needed to see them, but especially for when the ship got to Wales.
It was not as such our responsibility.
Again on the other side after the last stop at Bristol again, we would again advise the passengers about their passports.

As regards continental services, any of the ones i worked on were school kids on tours to Paris / Geneva etc. So the school teachers looked after all of the administrative tasks there.
Because no one wants a closed border with checkpoints.

Apart from the Unionists of course.

No point increasing the frequency of checks for the sake of it as the border has to be 100% secure to have any effect.

Tackle it bi-laterally with the next U.K. Govt.

Multi-laterally at E.U. level.

Control all the things that we can control at interactions to speed up asylum seekers claims and appeals etc.

Increase deportations.

Communication at a diplomatic level to foreigners thinking of coming here and rigoursly enforce the laws here at points of entry.
Again the issue here is we have to rely on the public and civil service for the above.

We all know well how productive they are

Last edited:
EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Lee Sessions Trad Trail
Blarney Castle Hotel, The Square, Blarney

28th May 2024 @ 9:30 pm
More info..

Kidnapped (NC)

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 5:30pm

More events ▼