The Hurling Thread

No hurling shown on RTE this weekend and nothing being shown either next weekend, bit of a joke in middle of championship not to be promoting it some bit on national tv
Donal Og can be an awful eejit but he's bang on the money when it comes to how badly hurling is treated by the GAA. I'm a hurling man first & foremost and the continued diminuation of the game in favour of football is really depressing.

Donal Og can be an awful eejit but he's bang on the money when it comes to how badly hurling is treated by the GAA. I'm a hurling man first & foremost and the continued diminuation of the game in favour of football is really depressing.

By the Gaa……..perhaps Donal might have a word with his own employers who dictate what games are broadcast? Does his own employers have any input on the Gaa Go schedule perchance? You take coin from RTE I am an afraid you lose the right to give out about the coverage of hurling

By the Gaa……..perhaps Donal might have a word with his own employers who dictate what games are broadcast? Does his own employers have any input on the Gaa Go schedule perchance? You take coin from RTE I am an afraid you lose the right to give out about the coverage of hurling
So let's just get a load of Yes men on the Sunday Game and nobody will ever mention how hurling is being f*cked over. That's really going to help.

The problem isn't really GaaGo V RTE, it's the impact the revised championship structure and split season is having. I was supportive of the split season, but I think it's become clear that the tempo and flow of games just isn't right, and that leaving the bulk of the summer with so few games is a sacrifice too far. We need a rethink on the whole thing that also gives certainty on when club championships will be played.

Firstly, wether the hardcore like it or not, we simply have to accept that the peak of other domestic sports comes in April and May and it's doing massive harm to the GAA for major season ending intercounty championships matches to be taking place in that time.

Secondly, the structure of the football competitions is just far too bloated. The core All Ireland group stage and knock out is bang on, but a 7 game league with full provincial championships completely squeezes things. To fix that, get the rid the leagues, and turn the provincial championships into a league base system.

Similarly in hurling, the actual structure is brilliant, the problem is the time of year the majority of matches are condensed into.

Where we need to end up is that championship starts about May, and where no team is out of contention until mid to late June at the earliest. Hurling and Football need to be split across alternative weekends with a conscious effort to speed the matches. All Ireland Finals to the end of August, or potentially early September again, with dedicated windows for club championship in spring and autumn. This would have to be backed up by a similar club championship structure across the country, and strict criteria on availability of players for their clubs.

If you had a competition structure like that, then there's breathing space for the big games in both codes throughout the summer, and it's easier to ensure most big games get proper slots on terrestrial TV. It will make sure hurling in particular gets the platform it needs to grow.

The Dublin cork lad made a good point though in the rte gaa podcast that when he started with rte they showed 58 championship games and now it was In the 30s due to the fact that the early season is putting gaa against rugby and loi for tv coverage etc.

Also hurling especially Munster is a cash cow and not only will they get a full puc people will pay for Lim v cork or a Clare v lim or a tipp v cork etc. not many will pay for Dublin Louth or Roscommon Leitrim

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Horgan Brothers: Princes Of The Picture Theatre
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

30th May 2024 @ 6:30 pm
More info..

Song Of Granite (G) [Pat Collins Season]

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 8:05pm

More events ▼