Cork u20 Hurling 2024

There is no way back for this team

They got bate out the gate.

Nothing good to say about this performance.

They were lethargic from the off.

The effort of our no 6 for their 1st goal sums up everything that was wrong

It's hard to believe how good hurlers could perform like this

I'm baffled
Tipp are a different kettle of fish to Offaly

A few of us had been warning here that this team was vulnerable despite winning the first three matches, but this was worse than I had feared. The whole defence was shredded - the inside line couldn't get tight enough, but part of the problem was runners coming through from deep, as for the second and third goals. O'Regan has been highlighted before as not being comfortable at 6, but I thought the whole hb line and the midfield were not holding up the man in possession or were not covering back quickly enough.

There is a really obvious problem also with defenders, especially half-backs, not catching high balls - it is one of the ways this team have become too predictable. Tipp's forwards did outfield their men on occasion, but they did way more damage by reading the breaks better and snapping up loose ball.

Healy, Leahy and Buckley were all very well contained, and Cork had very little punch elsewhere. In the first half O'Connell got on a lot of ball but his radar was off. I think Dwyer was Cork's top scorer from play, which speaks volumes. Adam O'Sullivan looked lively off the bench. Barry Walsh had a quiet game unfortunately. And while Cork did shoot a fair number of wides, they created far fewer scoring chances than they would have expected to.

One worrying thing was the way that some players were completely knocked off their game and rattled by the way the match went. Cillian Tobin can't be faulted for effort but he had to come off, otherwise he would certainly have picked up a second yellow. Buckley is normally very composed in possession and makes the right decision, but in the second half he got into space and took the wrong option on more than one occasion.

Cork have at least one more match, so they have the chance to bounce back, but that was the kind of defeat that can really shake a side's confidence. All of a sudden, too, there will be questions about whether Ben O'Connor is the right man for the senior job.

Also worth saying that Tipp were excellent: very well-organised, played a great brand of hurling with a ruthless streak when required. A far cry from last year when they looked v one-dimensional and Cummins was widely criticised in Tipp for forcing them to play an over-complicated game.

Has been coming since the Clare game really. No harm for the reality check to happen and they are still in the competition. Their next game will be a huge indicator on whether they will make it senior intercounty or not.

Tipp exploited our inability to deal with high ball, knowing we couldn’t catch it so worst case scenario they could go after the breaking ball. This performance has been coming so I’m very disappointed with BOC for not anticipating this. The extra man v Clare and falling over the line against a piss poor Lk were obviously not taken seriously by management. This is very worrying. It was obvious to me as early as way through the first half v V Clare that O Regan was simply not a CB. Why did it take management so long to accept this. !!!!!

This is very, very poor all over and Tipp are playing very well but surely now this management setup have a little bit of credit in the bank before lads start about them with the axe.
They have credit in the bank at this level and should get another chance next year, even if they lose this year.

At senior level, however, I think we could without another coach who prioritises small, skilful players and a running game over more physical and hard-working players. We've spent the last 19 years with a near identical game plan and selection policy.

This team has gone from looking very balanced at minor level and winning every game by 10 + points, to looking very one dimensional. I still think they could win an AI but they have to get more of a goal scoring threat.

A few of us had been warning here that this team was vulnerable despite winning the first three matches, but this was worse than I had feared. The whole defence was shredded - the inside line couldn't get tight enough, but part of the problem was runners coming through from deep, as for the second and third goals. O'Regan has been highlighted before as not being comfortable at 6, but I thought the whole hb line and the midfield were not holding up the man in possession or were not covering back quickly enough.

There is a really obvious problem also with defenders, especially half-backs, not catching high balls - it is one of the ways this team have become too predictable. Tipp's forwards did outfield their men on occasion, but they did way more damage by reading the breaks better and snapping up loose ball.

Healy, Leahy and Buckley were all very well contained, and Cork had very little punch elsewhere. In the first half O'Connell got on a lot of ball but his radar was off. I think Dwyer was Cork's top scorer from play, which speaks volumes. Adam O'Sullivan looked lively off the bench. Barry Walsh had a quiet game unfortunately. And while Cork did shoot a fair number of wides, they created far fewer scoring chances than they would have expected to.

One worrying thing was the way that some players were completely knocked off their game and rattled by the way the match went. Cillian Tobin can't be faulted for effort but he had to come off, otherwise he would certainly have picked up a second yellow. Buckley is normally very composed in possession and makes the right decision, but in the second half he got into space and took the wrong option on more than one occasion.

Cork have at least one more match, so they have the chance to bounce back, but that was the kind of defeat that can really shake a side's confidence. All of a sudden, too, there will be questions about whether Ben O'Connor is the right man for the senior job.

Also worth saying that Tipp were excellent: very well-organised, played a great brand of hurling with a ruthless streak when required. A far cry from last year when they looked v one-dimensional and Cummins was widely criticised in Tipp for forcing them to play an over-complicated game.
all of a sudden me hole, I have been saying this for the last few years despite the bandwagon to anoint him as heir in waiting

Ben is a lovely guy and a very good coach but he is wedded to the running game. The last thing we need at senior is the return of the Harlem Globetrotters

I wonder where the local forum idiot ridiculing me on here last week over this is hiding? 3 out of 3 me ring

Last edited:
Cork can't finish top now, tipp are joint top after tonight and take cork on head to head. Plus they still have a game to play.
If Clare beat Waterford and Tipp they'd be direct to final.
And cork Tipp semi final
If Tipp beat Clare in final round Tipp go directly to final , with a cork Clare semi
You're right that Cork can't finish top, so will be in a SF.

One small correction though: if Clare win their last two games they will finish level on six points with Cork and Tipp, with points difference deciding the placings between those three teams. Tipp's points difference is currently 31 better than Clare's (+27 vs -4). So there is a good chance that even if Clare win both their remaining matches, Tipp will finish top and go directly to the final.

They have credit in the bank at this level and should get another chance next year, even if they lose this year.
Myself and finbarrog could nearly have coached last years group to an all ireland they were that good
At senior level, however, I think we could without another coach who prioritises small, skilful players and a running game over more physical and hard-working players. We've spent the last 19 years with a near identical game plan and selection policy.
Spot on, but it’s probably even more important that our good youngsters get exposed to a different style of play that matches the seniors . In 2 or 3 years time they will be our seniors
This team has gone from looking very balanced at minor level and winning every game by 10 + points, to looking very one dimensional. I still think they could win an AI but they have to get more of a goal scoring threat.
Me too if the management swallow their pride and let the players cut loose

all of a sudden me hole, I have been saying this for the last few years despite the bandwagon to anoint him as heir in waiting

Ben is a lovely guy and a very good coach but he is wedded to the running game. The last thing we need at senior is the return of the Harlem Globetrotters

I wonder where the gobshite ridiculing me on here last week over this is hiding? 3 out of 3 me ring
In fairness to Ben, his record as coach/manager would stand up against most candidates in Cork at least. And I think last year's team were a bit more direct, the big difference being that they had Cunningham and, in early games at least, Colin Walsh alongside Healy as target men. So while a running game is clearly Ben's preference, he might be willing to cut his cloth a bit more than you suggest. But this year there's no doubt the team has become lop-sided in how they attack.

In fairness to Ben, his record as coach/manager would stand up against most candidates in Cork at least. And I think last year's team were a bit more direct, the big difference being that they had Cunningham and, in early games at least, Colin Walsh alongside Healy as target men. So while a running game is clearly Ben's preference, he might be willing to cut his cloth a bit more than you suggest. But this year there's no doubt the team has become lop-sided in how they attack.
I have already said Ben is a great coach but he is the last thing we need at senior level

Last year he inherited a well seasoned team full of physicality. If we don’t have enough ball winners starting this year that’s down to management. Ben Nyhan has walked away from the panel and Barry Walsh only finally brooe into the team tonight. The players are there to play a more physical team playing a bit more directly but the management have decided otherwise

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Lee Sessions Trad Trail
The White Horse, Ballincollig

23rd Jun 2024 @ 6:00 pm
More info..

A Bend In The Road

St. Peters Cork, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼