Cork Footballers

The top attackers in the cork championship in the last few years have been Stephen Sherlock ( Barrs ) Cian Dorgan ( Ballincollig ) Dan Dineen ( Cill Na Mattra ) Michael Hurley ( Castlehaven ) Luke Connolly ( Nemo) for whatever reason these lads have failed to feature prominently for cork in the last few years. Say whatever you want about lads personal choice and opting out but they obviously felt not wanted by mgmt or their skills would be not utilised and allow them to thrive at inter county level. If we can’t get our best players on the pitch and instead opt for athletic runners who couldn’t kick a ball 20 yards cork football will not succeed or even prosper in the next few years

Of course injurys seem to neaver clear up when it comes to Cork Football...our two best forwards in the two All Ireland winning Minor and u20 teams in 2019 Cathail O Mahony and Conor Corbett are out at the moment in a time when they should be out top 2 fowards...in 2019 Damien Gore was on the Senior panel and only for i njury would have played Senior Championship in 2019 he was that good would have missed out on the 20s All Ireland as a result ...he got injured allowed him to play in the 20s truimph...he been plauged ever since ....Midfielders on those underage sides have had serious injurys all great prospects Jack Lawton 2 cruciates, Daniel O Connell 2 cruciates, Eoghan Nash serious injury problems as well ....Brian Hartnett opted out a real pity ......Brian Hayes captained the u20 footballers to the Munster title in 2021 Colin Walsh was a top forward on that team both opted to go hurling and only now Jack Cahalane is in with the footballers id say Hurling is his first love but to be fair was a v good at both at underage ....

I was at the match Saturday and yes the kickout was so predictable everyone in the crowd knew where it was going. I actually don’t mind the overload if it’s one of several options rather than just one. Just a thought but maybe we move c o Callaghan to centre forward and Powter on wing then we can have 1. The overload on one side 2. O Callaghan's on his own option 3 goalie kicks into space and Powter breaks onto it. Deane, Mcsweeney and Brian o Driscoll all work very hard I just don’t think you can afford 3 of them in the half forward line at the same time.My heart says if we can just get a win versus Fermanagh it could turn things , beat Kildare , maybe Meath and hope Armagh have qualified by round 7 and they put out a weakened team like Derry did last year. My head says based off the way they are playing Kildare is the only team you would be confident of beating

Hurlers and footballers seem plagued with injuries last few years. Coleman, Connolly, Dalton, Flynn in hurling, and football as you documented. I remember Colm O’ Neill was plagued by cruciate injuries.

I agree with a fair amount of what @Dday writes in terms of changes that surely can easily be made:
  • Yes - nobody in a county minor or u20 panel whose 1st sporting priority isn't football (hurling should take the same perspective and not be playing a fellow who's heading off on a rugby career).
would cork have won the munster final without ben O Connor?
I am biased but I dont think so

I agree with a fair amount of what @Dday writes in terms of changes that surely can easily be made:
  • Yes - nobody in a county minor or u20 panel whose 1st sporting priority isn't football (hurling should take the same perspective and not be playing a fellow who's heading off on a rugby career).
You know it the GAA, not the GHA or the GFA. Kids should be able to play at the highest level they are capable of and accommodated by the CB.

In all sporting codes at whatever stage you start channelling your resources into a selection process for age grade players you are invariably shutting the door on talent and squandering your resources because you will not optimise your talent selection.

I was at the match Saturday and yes the kickout was so predictable everyone in the crowd knew where it was going. I actually don’t mind the overload if it’s one of several options rather than just one. Just a thought but maybe we move c o Callaghan to centre forward and Powter on wing then we can have 1. The overload on one side 2. O Callaghan's on his own option 3 goalie kicks into space and Powter breaks onto it. Deane, Mcsweeney and Brian o Driscoll all work very hard I just don’t think you can afford 3 of them in the half forward line at the same time.My heart says if we can just get a win versus Fermanagh it could turn things , beat Kildare , maybe Meath and hope Armagh have qualified by round 7 and they put out a weakened team like Derry did last year. My head says based off the way they are playing Kildare is the only team you would be confident of beating
If we get a result this weekend we have Kildare at home and should win that
Meath away will be tough but I think we are capable of getting something there
Hopefully Armagh are going up and we’d have a good shot at that
Just have to get points this weekend or we are in serious trouble
If we can get going and finish the league strong from here out we should be ok
Hopefully Corbett O Mahony O Hanlon and few more back in the mix by championship and we could be competitive again

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Tombstome presents: Darsombra plus guest Magic Pockets
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

30th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Karaoke Pride Party

Cyprus Avenue, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼