Cork Hurlers - Part 2

I’m convinced midfield is contributing to our high scores conceded
Dalton changes the dynamic a fair bit when he’s on the field as he plays quite deep and is abrasive

I’m convinced midfield is contributing to our high scores conceded
Dalton changes the dynamic a fair bit when he’s on the field as he plays quite deep and is abrasive
Of course it does. Non-tackling midfielders/ forwards => easier for opposition to get good ball into their forwards => much harder to defend => more scores conceded. It's always been hard to judge how good or bad Cork defenders are compared to other counties as they have always started with the disadvantage of having a lot of non-tacklers further up the field.
This improved somewhat under PR last year but having a midfield of MC & DF for most of the game last week was perplexing.

Ah Jesus lads how long are we going to blame Frank for, the Stadium is a different issue FFS. how many U20's have we won . Where are all these players. We are stuck with a nucleus who have not won anything at Minor/U20/21 and Senior.

But listen few lads here are ok with another loss and scraping through Munster and getting the old EGO Boost out against Carlow.
Three.
20, 21 and 23.
CORK: Eoin Davis; Conor O’Callaghan, Eoin Roche, Aaron Walsh Barry; Daire Connery, Ciarán Joyce, Dáire O’Leary; Darragh Flynn, Tommy O’Connell; Brian Roche, Shane Barrett, Seán Twomey; Pádraig Power, Alan Connolly, Colin O’Brien. Subs: Jack Cahalane for Colin O’Brien (40), Eoin Carey for Sean Twomey (41), Brian Hayes for Alan Connolly (49), Shane O’Regan for Darragh Flynn (52),

CORK: Cathal Wilson; Eoin Downey, Ethan Twomey, Cormac O’Brien; Kevin Moynihan, Ciaran Joyce, Brian O’Sullivan; Sam Quirke, Diarmuid Kearney; Jack Cahalane, Darragh Flynn, Brian Hayes; Robbie Cotter, Padraig Power, Daniel Hogan
Subs used: Ben Cunningham for Kearney (39), Luke Horgan (Glen Rovers) for Cotter (48), Micheal Mullins for Hogan (55), Cillian O’Donovan for Moynihan (57), Colm McCarthy for Quirke (59).

Cork: B Saunderson (Midleton); M Howell (Douglas), S Kingston (Ballinora), D O’Sullivan (Ballinhassig); J Dwyer (Ballincollig), B O’Connor (St Finbarr’s), M Mullins (Whitechurch); T O’Connell (Ballincollig), E Downey (Glen Rovers); W Buckley (St Finbarr’s), B Cunningham (St Finbarr’s), D Healy (Lisgoold); R O’Sullivan (Na Piarsaigh), D Cremin (Midleton), J Leahy (Dungourney).
Subs: P O’Sullivan (Fr O’Neills), S Daly (Randal Óg), T Wilk (Cobh), C Doolin (St Finbarr’s), M Finn (Midleton), A O’Sullivan (Ballinhassig), C Walsh (Kanturk), B Keating (Ballincollig), E O’Leary (Glen Rovers).

Team Vs Clare
CORK: Patrick Collins; Niall O’Leary, Eoin Downey, Sean O’Donoghue; Tim O’Mahony, Ciaran Joyce, Robert Downey; Ethan Twomey, Darragh Fitzgibbon; Declan Dalton, Shane Barrett, Seamus Harnedy; Brian Hayes, Alan Connolly, Patrick Horgan
Subs: Brion Saunderson, Damien Cahalane, Ger Millerick, Tommy O’Connell, Mark Coleman, Luke Meade, Shane Kingston, Robbie O’Flynn, Jack O’Connor, Conor Lehane, Sean Twomey.

So 6 of the starting team and 2 subs .

Last edited:
One thing I like about the team named is that you can see a plan. A physically strong hb line to match Clare's power in that area. O'Leary to pick up Kelly. A reasonable spread of ball winners up front, plus Fitzgibbon on puck-outs, means that in theory Cork will have more options to go long. But Fitzgibbon, O'Mahony and Twomey are all comfortable running the ball through the middle, so they can vary the attacks.

On the specific changes made, I'm very happy to see Dalton and Eoin Downey back in. Not a huge fan of O'Mahony at wing-back, would rather have had Millerick there and O'Mahony further up the pitch, but I can see the thinking behind putting him at 5. Hayes isn't a bad shout up front since presumably there are doubts over whether O'Flynn is fit enough to start. I've had doubts about whether his touch was sharp enough to be effective at this level, but I do think he's looked better than year. Sunday will be the acid test. With Hoggy and Connolly both starting he'll probably be asked to move out the field for large parts of the game, but I hope he gets a chance to play inside on one of the Clare corner-backs - *if* he clicks there's a good chance of a mis-match.

Ethan Twomey is a fine player but he's had v little game time with Cork, and this is a hell of a match to start. He did look assured in his cameo against Limerick last year, but at that point in the match Limerick were dropping their hf line deep, and Twomey had a fair bit of space. Sunday will be completely different - I'd expect Clare to target him as a possible weak link. And I'm not crazy about the balance of the midfield. I'd have left O'Connell there, put Fitzgibbon at 11 and have two physical hard-working wing-forwards (Dalton plus one other). As it stands, I think this side is still short one workhorse in the middle to match up with Clare.

That's my main worry with this selection - that and the lack of pace up front. I think both Hoggy and Harnedy have looked sluggish, and neither made much impression against Waterford either with or without the ball. They are both lucky to start imo, Hoggy more so. I'd be delighted if either came up with a big game, and happily admit that I called it wrong, but I don't see it happening.

Three.
20, 21 and 23.
CORK: Eoin Davis; Conor O’Callaghan, Eoin Roche, Aaron Walsh Barry; Daire Connery, Ciarán Joyce, Dáire O’Leary; Darragh Flynn, Tommy O’Connell; Brian Roche, Shane Barrett, Seán Twomey; Pádraig Power, Alan Connolly, Colin O’Brien. Subs: Jack Cahalane for Colin O’Brien (40), Eoin Carey for Sean Twomey (41), Brian Hayes for Alan Connolly (49), Shane O’Regan for Darragh Flynn (52),

CORK: Cathal Wilson; Eoin Downey, Ethan Twomey, Cormac O’Brien; Kevin Moynihan, Ciaran Joyce, Brian O’Sullivan; Sam Quirke, Diarmuid Kearney; Jack Cahalane, Darragh Flynn, Brian Hayes; Robbie Cotter, Padraig Power, Daniel Hogan
Subs used: Ben Cunningham for Kearney (39), Luke Horgan (Glen Rovers) for Cotter (48), Micheal Mullins for Hogan (55), Cillian O’Donovan for Moynihan (57), Colm McCarthy for Quirke (59).

Cork: B Saunderson (Midleton); M Howell (Douglas), S Kingston (Ballinora), D O’Sullivan (Ballinhassig); J Dwyer (Ballincollig), B O’Connor (St Finbarr’s), M Mullins (Whitechurch); T O’Connell (Ballincollig), E Downey (Glen Rovers); W Buckley (St Finbarr’s), B Cunningham (St Finbarr’s), D Healy (Lisgoold); R O’Sullivan (Na Piarsaigh), D Cremin (Midleton), J Leahy (Dungourney).
Subs: P O’Sullivan (Fr O’Neills), S Daly (Randal Óg), T Wilk (Cobh), C Doolin (St Finbarr’s), M Finn (Midleton), A O’Sullivan (Ballinhassig), C Walsh (Kanturk), B Keating (Ballincollig), E O’Leary (Glen Rovers).

Team Vs Clare
CORK: Patrick Collins; Niall O’Leary, Eoin Downey, Sean O’Donoghue; Tim O’Mahony, Ciaran Joyce, Robert Downey; Ethan Twomey, Darragh Fitzgibbon; Declan Dalton, Shane Barrett, Seamus Harnedy; Brian Hayes, Alan Connolly, Patrick Horgan
Subs: Brion Saunderson, Damien Cahalane, Ger Millerick, Tommy O’Connell, Mark Coleman, Luke Meade, Shane Kingston, Robbie O’Flynn, Jack O’Connor, Conor Lehane, Sean Twomey.

So 6 of the starting team and 2 subs .
Three subs (Saunderson).

One disappointing feature of the season so far is the younger players who were among Cork's best early in the league (S. Twomey, O'Connell, E. Roche) have all been demoted this week: two to the bench and one off the 26. And Brian Roche not there either, having been prominent last year. It's worrying in terms of player development. These aren't guys fresh out of the U20s, they are all 23 or 24, have been on the senior panel for a few years, and (imo, and without the benefit of seeing how they are going in training) need to be given responsibility.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Music Network Presents Linda Fredriksson Juniper
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

14th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

A Matter Of Time

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼