The Official Liverpool Thread - Part 2

He announced it to the owners in November and possibly planned to keep it quiet.

Maybe the news had been leaked and they were trying to get ahead of it? Who knows.

The team initially got a huge positive reaction and results for the next 10 weeks were excellent.

Atmosphere in Anfield was electric for a change and the games were all like cup finals with huge effort from the players.

They completely ran out of road though. I can’t remember a single game where the result was put to bed in first 60 mins like city/arsenal do and the game peter out.

Everything was drama, late goals etc with no game control. Too much emotion and completely unsustainable.

He gambled that the momentum might just carry them through.

Liverpool definitely 200% were not winning the league without the announcement, it didn’t derail things, it more galvanised an average enough bunch for a couple of months.

At least it gave the owners plenty of time to find a replacement.

I don’t think Edwards was returning if Klopp was staying either so it also allowed them to re-build a competent backroom team.

Yep.
IIRC the press conference was hastily arranged with less than 24 hrs notice. Highly likely that the club took a view that it was going to leak soon & they needed to be on the front foot.

I doubt Klopp effectively handed in his notice in November, sat on it for 2 months and then felt compelled to tell the world before the Norwich City cup tie.

Personally I think the announcement is a convenient/lazy narrative for people to latch on to, regardless of how the season had panned out.

In the 15 games after Klopp's announcement liverpool went 12W 1D 2L

Fa Cup - WWL
League - WLWWWWDWW
EFL Cup - W
Europa League - WW

This is through a period with a LOT of injuries to important players.

In the end they fell victim to a combo of finishing variance, maybe a bit of fatigue and a dip in confidence in a few games where they were passing up big chances at one end & leaving in a few soft ones at the other. It happens.

Big players turn up and perform on the big stage Dan, Nunez has had 2 years under Kloop and I feel what we see now is the final product. No real footballing brain, can't stay onside, can't finish. Not the player to be leading the line for a club that wants to compete for top honours, get rid.

Nunez is the kind of guy that lots of incoming managers might think "He's got some good raw attributes. I reckon I can fix him and get 20+ league goals out of him".

But after a season or so of working with Nunez he'll probably frustrate the life out of you and you'd want to move him on. He has had some good spells where he looks like an elite striker but he has fallen back into bad habits recently. Seems unlikely that he can develop into what Liverpool hoped he could become.

Have to keep going until end of season and hope Arsenal implode. Could be another title there for the taking once Man City (eventually) have the book thrown at them!!

Have to keep going until end of season and hope Arsenal implode. Could be another title there for the taking once Man City (eventually) have the book thrown at them!!

Feck that!

Arsenal imploding would give spuds points.
Top 4 is not in bag yet.

Also Utd v Arsenal in 3 weeks.

Need Arsenal right in it cos this place will be wonderful to observe from a neutral point of view!

Feck that!

Arsenal imploding would give spuds points.
Top 4 is not in bag yet.

Also Utd v Arsenal in 3 weeks.

Need Arsenal right in it cos this place will be wonderful to observe from a neutral point of view!

1714036020702.png

Lol @ the lads trying to talk down Klopp's long goodbye.

It was all historical quad and a perfect finish in Dublin.

The players collapsed under the pressure.

Add Salah and Van Dijk being finished = Major LOLs

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Gilbert O'Sullivan
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

11th Sep 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..
More events ▼