Cork Limerick Motorway

A lot of Limerick people know that Cork will benefit more from this essential project and it will attract investment weighted more to the Cork region than LImerick as well as easy access to SNN for more frequent trans-Atlantic flights.

Pascal Donoghue and this and any Govt. will say noive works and include in in a 10 year development plan which is meaningless unles sit advances to planning stage, tender and construction.

You can only laugh at this stage at people in power grappling with housing shortage, traffic problems, poor infrastructure, shortage of office space, parking space, schools and hospitals, crime and pollution choking the Dublin region making it a negative investment choice post-Brexit.

If you try to shove everything into Dublin this will happen and with a Dublin Taoseach and Finance Minister what do you expect?

Lots of plans,reports, development plans, de-centralisation,nodes,hubs, zones and waffle.

No actual implementation leading to huge problems that will take billions to repair.

The road IS needed for a number of reasons, not least of which is to cut down on the carnage on the old road - particularly the Cork-Mallow stretch of it.

Your 14 minute estimate is farcical. To put it in context even the relatively short Ballincollig Bypass shaved that time off car journeys going west. I would estimate an average saving of somewhere between 30mins and an hour (depending on traffic) from my experience on the Cork Limerick road - though I'd bow to menace's experience.

I guess I was just looking for some empirical evidence that has been published for the project . All i can find is this "The motorway would extend for about 80km from the junction with the proposed Cork northern ring road near Blarney outside Cork city to the junction with the N21 at Attyflynn in Co Limerick. It would cut the travel time between Attyflynn and Blarney from 61 minutes to 45 minutes, Mr O’Neill said" from https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ire...view-cork-to-limerick-motorway-plan-1.2871887

61 to 45 minutes! Can anyone tell me if this makes sense

I guess I was just looking for some empirical evidence that has been published for the project . All i can find is this "The motorway would extend for about 80km from the junction with the proposed Cork northern ring road near Blarney outside Cork city to the junction with the N21 at Attyflynn in Co Limerick. It would cut the travel time between Attyflynn and Blarney from 61 minutes to 45 minutes, Mr O’Neill said" from https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ire...view-cork-to-limerick-motorway-plan-1.2871887

61 to 45 minutes! Can anyone tell me if this makes sense

I presume that this is a journey time excluding holdups in Charleville, Buttevant & Mallow, any type of roadworks or finding yourself behind a milk lorry from Charleville to croom or vice versa. Like if you were travelling at 3am.

Using the AA route planner the current time they have for Attyflin (Patrickswell) to Blarney is 1 Hour 8 mins and 79km. I make that an average speed of 70km per hour, which I think anyone who has travelled that road in the last while will tell you is rather optimistic to say the very least. But let's just suspend the disbelief for a moment and accept it for calculations

Now if one was to travel 79Km at a Motorway speed of 120km per hour you'd be talking of a time of less than 40 minutes.

That would be a saving of over 28 minutes (or double the estimate given) on the route.

Even if one was to reduce the speed to 100 km/hr you'd be talking of a journey trip of just over 47 mins - compared to the current 68 mins - would still be a saving of over 20 minutes.

And furthermore a motorway would almost guarantee reliable times. People could plan their journeys without being at the mercy of the vagaries of whether or not some farmer was going out spreading slurry or some tanker was or wasn't on the way to the creamery.

So those time savings would be a minimum on what is currently the case.

Add to that, the fact that Irish motorways tend to be so much safer than non-motorways in terms of serious accidents then the building of a Cork Limerick motorway is a no brainer.

Thing is though will this Dublin-centric government go through with it or will they decide enough money has been spent for motorways to the homes of the last leader of FG and leader of Lab.

Using the AA route planner the current time they have for Attyflin (Patrickswell) to Blarney is 1 Hour 8 mins and 79km. I make that an average speed of 70km per hour, which I think anyone who has travelled that road in the last while will tell you is rather optimistic to say the very least. But let's just suspend the disbelief for a moment and accept it for calculations

Now if one was to travel 79Km at a Motorway speed of 120km per hour you'd be talking of a time of less than 40 minutes.

That would be a saving of over 28 minutes (or double the estimate given) on the route.

Even if one was to reduce the speed to 100 km/hr you'd be talking of a journey trip of just over 47 mins - compared to the current 68 mins - would still be a saving of over 20 minutes.

And furthermore a motorway would almost guarantee reliable times. People could plan their journeys without being at the mercy of the vagaries of whether or not some farmer was going out spreading slurry or some tanker was or wasn't on the way to the creamery.

So those time savings would be a minimum on what is currently the case.

Add to that, the fact that Irish motorways tend to be so much safer than non-motorways in terms of serious accidents then the building of a Cork Limerick motorway is a no brainer.

Thing is though will this Dublin-centric government go through with it or will they decide enough money has been spent for motorways to the homes of the last leader of FG and leader of Lab.

Brendan Howlin was never is govt. as leader.
Sorry to trouble you with facts.

Brendan Howlin was never is govt. as leader.
Sorry to trouble you with facts.

I never said he was. The Labour leader in govt was Moan Burton - she was hardly going to insist on a Dublin to Dublin motorway now was she :roll:
They built one for the Labour Leader in Waiting who had a pretty important financial portfolio at the time.

I never said he was. The Labour leader in govt was Moan Burton - she was hardly going to insist on a Dublin to Dublin motorway now was she :roll:
They built one for the Labour Leader in Waiting who had a pretty important financial portfolio at the time.

Can't....hold....argument.....together....grrrrr

Soundman said:

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Low-key Funny
The Roundy, Castle St.

12th Jun 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..
More events ▼