While the Brits burned down our city, another bunch of them tried to quench the flames. Leading them was Alfred J. Hutson..." />

Alfred J. Hutson and the Burning of Cork

Posted on Aug 13, 2009 in Cork Street Furniture

 
 
4.
Alfred J Hutson, The Fireman's Rest and the Burning of Cork

 










Alfred J. Hutson brought the burning of Cork to an
end.


Anyone who looks at history for any length of time cannot fail to be struck
by how often irony and black humour appears. Whilst one group of ex-British
Army servicemen were busy trying to turn our city into cinders
on the night
of 11th December 1920, another group led by a Londoner and including some other
ex-British Army men were struggling desperately to fight the infernos. Thanks
to these men, no lives were lost and the damage to the city was contained.

The man in charge was Alfred J Hutson, and a singular person he appears
to have been. He was 71 at the time of the fires, and whilst nursing an injured
hip, he played a full part in the operation, sustaining a further injury, as
well as being shot at during 27 straight hours fighting the fires.

Hutson had taken the job of Superintendent in 1891, moving over from Sussex
with his wife and family (most of whom, slightly disturbingly, had "J"
as a middle initial). His predecessor had been demoted for incompetence, a charming
old-world custom which has somehow been overlooked by today's City Council.










The famous hut from the 'old' Pana.


As part of the improvements he made to the business of fighting fire in the
city, he extended a system of secondary fire stations each equipped with a reel
of hose and a ladder mounted on a cart. The well-known "Hut" which
stood on St. Patrick's Street until 2002 was the last-remaining element
of this system, although Corkonians will remember it as the place where you
could get the timetable for the buses, or report lost property.


The building, which was pre-fabricated by Walter MacFarlane & Co., of Glasgow,
dated to 1892 and originally stood near where the Capitol Cinema is/was.
It was moved in 1904 to near The Statue and was shared between the tram company
(by day) and the firemen (by night). The firemen referred to it as a "Rest".
It moved again in 2002 and currently languishes in a depot, awaiting further
use.


Hutson must have been something of a workaholic, leading the Brigade until 1927
(aged 78) and dying in Cork in 1933. It would be a fitting tribute to him
and the families of the three Cork firemen who have died in the service of our
City to have it restored as a small museum."


See
Tom Spalding's other articles here






Text
and Photographs © Tom Spalding, 2009

See also Tom's book, available on the PRoC site, click
here


"Cork City: A Field Guide to its Street Furniture"
With thanks to Mr. Pat Poland, Cork City Fire Brigade (ret'

 

Holes in the Ground & The Opercularist

The final installment from Cork's street furniture expert Tom Spalding...

Read More

The Guns of Grand Parade

Tom Spalding continues to light up the city for readers with his facinating series on Cork street furniture...

Read More

Temperence & Father Mathew

There was a time in Cork when the taps didnt produce the purest water in Ireland and citizens had to queue at fountains. Punch ups and schemozzles all over the shop....

Read More

The Oldest Post Box in the World

More proof that our county was the craddle of civilisation. Cork street furniture expert Tom Spalding makes some startling discoveries...

Read More

 
 

Advertising