Cork Minor Hurling 2024

Full time
Cork: 3-18(27)
Waterford: 0-12(12)

GMCJ-PRWMAARWQ1

I was critical of our backs after the Tipp game. A few changes and they look a better unit.

Lads seem to be improving game by game which is great. Waterford did look weak on the night but the young lads performed well and showed a touch of ruthlessness which is good.

MT Brosnan for an u16 looks a fine prospect to me. A real all rounder and team player.

Cork are indeed a big strong team. Looking forward to the next round. Great format for young lads to be fair.

Tipperary had all 36 players on the pitch and in the team photo when they played Cork.The extended panel players sat behind the dug out and were treated as part of the group.I do agree that they need to grow up a bit but it is still a harsh way of dealing with 16/17 year olds m
My own opinion is usually it's close enough to the best team picked for most championship games.
Most managers are there for success and in some ways to boost their own reputation. To do that they need to win championships so they're almost always going to put the best team in the field, I don't think politics gets in the way anymore for most guys, if a lad isn't going to help them win he won't be getting the nod regardless of club, who he's related to, etc.
Usually the politics thing is thrown around by those who can't take not making it instead of accepting that mayb it's the correct call.

Also I would accept that Meyler would certainly be old school and probably very unlike what the modern generation are used to dealing with. I think if the majority have been involved with him for last couple years they were well aware of what they were getting before this campaign ever started.
Some younger coaches are then almost too far the other way. There's probably a middle ground some place between babying lads and being harsh that would be ideal.

If they get another win tomorrow evening the management won't feel the need to justify anything to anyone, not that I think Meyler would anyway regardless of the result.

Clare name the full panel in the program and bring them all.
Lets face it, Meyler is just a bit of an asshole who covers it with shite about having to toughen lads up.

He is loved in wolfe tones shannon for getting them over the line in a Munster intermediate championship.

He had no role with them other than managing Kilmoyley when shannon beat them in the munster semi

Meyler came in and said well done to the shannon lads but it didnt matter who won the semi final because newcestown were going to walk the final. Hes a bit of a tit and thick as fuck. Having said that , cork looked a very very slick outfit tonight up front

First time seeing this bunch live. Impressive overall, maybe 2 or 3 lads short of real top quality.
Waterford played poorly, lot of mis-hit striking, dropped catches etc. looked very nervous, and they're very young so not sure how good a barometer they are, but apparently they had the beating of Tipp the last day.

The half forward line is excellent. 2 puc-out targets on the wings - tall and athletic and both well able to catch under pressure. The 12 Murphy from Barryroe is a real stand out player - prob 6'4'', left handed hurler, loads of pace. He actually got 4 points but the crowd and umpires conspired to rob him of one. O'Brien is serious also, immaculate first touch all night, pacy and accurate. Lost his head for a second and should have seen red for a really bad stroke, at a key time in the game.

Brosnan from the Glen was a handful, could have had more scores, his marker was taken off after 20 minutes or so. Lee was the go-to lad in the full forward line all night, played a rake of ball, very strong. Bit casual - again could have had even more considering the ball he was on.

Half back line was other line of note - 3 big athletic lads but very calm on the ball, worked their way out of loads of tricky situations with nice stickwork, handpasses and weren't afraid to be physical and a bit cynical when needed. The 7 Murphy from Mallow was just about the pick of those 3.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Thursday Showcase
The Roundy, Castle St.

16th May 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

Sunday & Bank Holiday Tours

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 2pm

More events ▼