Cork Hurlers - Part 2

I am putting last week behind me now and looking forward to Sunday.
More than anything I think Cork have brought size and strength into the team , Eoin Downey, TOM, Ethan Twomey, DD and Sean Hayes are all big men.
Maybe what I see as a panic move is actually management picking horses for courses.

Either way, I look forward to Sunday and hope for a kick start to our championship with a win.
I hear his brother Brian is a cracking hurler too!

Sat on it for the night.
He's had balls to make changes, just not all the right changes.
Pat's gone for physicality which is good to see, my only worry is lack of pace in the forward line.
Selections and injuries prob dictated it to be fair. But I would have balanced it a bit more.
Clares backs are fast, they could do us damage going forward.
I just hope that there is no damage and we don't expect Jack O Connor Robbie O Flynn Shane Kingston to come on with 20 minutes left to try save us.
Tommy O Connell very hard done by.
Mellerick and Cahalane unlucky to miss out.
Coleman merits his performance last week, and Tommy O Connell fell over it too is my opinion.
Tommy was dropped back and swapped with Coleman so Coleman could try get into the game.

Just because someone's particular opinion on the Cork team doesn't gel with yours Earl, it triggers you to claim they "haven't a glimmer". Maybe, just for a moment, you could try to pretend that you're not an absolute legend in your own mind, and perhaps acquire even a soupcon of humility. Just a thought.
Thanks, sound 👍

Thanks, sound 👍

Not saying I agree with your all opinions on Cork Hurling H ;) - just that we all have opinions on prospects of players and how they may or may not do in upcoming games, and we're as entitled as anyone else here to express them without some self-appointed "expert" with limited knowledge himself trying to shoot you down out of hand as "not having a glimmer"

COME ON CORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I expected two or three changes but not six.
We were poor last Sunday but even still Waterford but we were still only a score behind coming to the end of the game with only thirteen players on the field. Waterford deserved their win and were better throughout but I thought Cork might look to see where they thought the issues were and make some tweaks and changes . Taking out six players is major surgery and must be seen as an admission that they got the team wrong last week.... which I felt was not completely the case.
I didn't agree with one or two selected but nothing major and it is rare anyway that everyone agrees on the same team.

More than anything I think Cork have brought size and strength into the team , Eoin Downey, TOM, Ethan Twomey, DD and Sean Hayes are all big men.
Maybe what I see as a panic move is actually management picking horses for courses.

Either way, I look forward to Sunday and hope for a kick start to our championship with a win.
It could be seen as "an admission that they got the team wrong last week" sure. It could also be seen as taking those whose confidence is dented after Waterford game out of the initial fray.
A quick turnaround after a loss has to be managed mentally as well as physically.
The changes could be due to either depending on the player.
Mental freshness and resilience will play a big part on Sunday.
Good to have players who can come in and hopefully bring that to the mix.

PR has referenced taking learnings from last year in relation to the quick turnaround, throughout the league the selections followed a pattern.
Everyone was saying that he would settle on a starting 15 for championship, but maybe that's not the plan.
Maybe, as in the league, we'll see the same core starting with changes made in each line....

Not saying I agree with your all opinions on Cork Hurling H ;) - just that we all have opinions on prospects of players and how they may or may not do in upcoming games, and we're as entitled as anyone else here to express them without some self-appointed "expert" with limited knowledge himself trying to shoot you down out of hand as "not having a glimmer"

COME ON CORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ha ya, I know, that's wise of you!
Some of my opinions are just odd wonderings that I decide to share, not even sure why 🤣🤣

I expected two or three changes but not six.
We were poor last Sunday but even still Waterford but we were still only a score behind coming to the end of the game with only thirteen players on the field. Waterford deserved their win and were better throughout but I thought Cork might look to see where they thought the issues were and make some tweaks and changes . Taking out six players is major surgery and must be seen as an admission that they got the team wrong last week.... which I felt was not completely the case.
I didn't agree with one or two selected but nothing major and it is rare anyway that everyone agrees on the same team.

I think there was 3 horses for courses selections that were in the plan pre the Waterford game. Hayes to cause a problem in the air vs 2 Clare corner backs that are both under 6ft. TOM to have the engine and height to get around the field with Fitzgerald, and Dalton is an automatic starter when fit.

Then 3 others are a direct response to the Waterford game - Millerick, Cahalane and TOC. I think E Downey and Ethan Twomey are good progressive calls, the latter in particular is a class player and I could see him really pushing on.

I'd be a bit worried that we don't have much pace in that forward line, and I'd fear for out full back line also - there are potentially some awkward match-ups for Cork here. NOL is a surprise for me. Cahalane is stickier. TOM is not a surprise - we need his abrasiveness on the field... he's a better forward for me but lads saying he's not a defender is mental - he has played more at 6 than anywhere else for his club and he was one of Cork's best players at 5 in 2021.

Coleman is surely an injury lads is it? He did well in the second half in midfield last Sunday, I was looking forward to him playing a full game from that position and being able to pick out Connolly / Barrett with his passing.

Zero surprise on Hoggie and Harnedy - (while I don't agree) they were always going to be picked, hopefully they can show they still have what it takes. Hoggie plays well against these lads usually... one of our better performers in the league up there.

I think we're going to get a massive response from this team on Sunday. However, you could have anyone's 15 out there (and clearly there's about 40 versions of that) and they're still not as strong as Clare are right now. We'll need Clare to underperform if we are to win, but they've shown a tendency to do just that plenty of times over the last couple of years.

Lastly, I hope the support is better than it was last week. We had 50% of the crowd down in Waterford but not a peep all day... and the amount of muppetts that got up and started leaving 5 minutes early were an absolute embarassment.. some of them had to cheek to stop after Connolly's goal and then stand there blocking the view of everyone who was watching the game until the end. A fiery noisy Cork crowd will have a big impact. Win our home games and we're good to go.

Coleman not starting because he picked up a knock last weekend, people rant and rave about SOD, looks like Tarzan plays like Jane. Zero hurling, zero touch, strong as an Ox, he’s a lot like Cahalane but probably has less hurling. Embarrassing that he is our captain. Good young fella, heart of gold but look back on every cork captain over the last 25 years… just shows you where we are at!!
What knock did Coleman get last week? He was not replaced till the 70th minute and looked ok?
Pat Ryan played him centre back and in turn he got caught out for the goal. Pat ryan had to move Joycey to wing who had quiet game, moved Millerick back to corner back even tho has been brilliant at wing back. When all this was not working it was drop Tommy O Connell back who we ll know is not a back. 3 players suffered over Coleman last week.

As regards SOD, Probably the worst comment I've seen. He was one of our best backs last week and one of our most consistent backs the last number of years.
It's not one bit embarrassing one of our most consistent hurlers is the captain, well deserved. Has he had 1 or 2 off games? Yes.

I think there was 3 horses for courses selections that were in the plan pre the Waterford game. Hayes to cause a problem in the air vs 2 Clare corner backs that are both under 6ft. TOM to have the engine and height to get around the field with Fitzgerald, and Dalton is an automatic starter when fit.

Then 3 others are a direct response to the Waterford game - Millerick, Cahalane and TOC. I think E Downey and Ethan Twomey are good progressive calls, the latter in particular is a class player and I could see him really pushing on.

I'd be a bit worried that we don't have much pace in that forward line, and I'd fear for out full back line also - there are potentially some awkward match-ups for Cork here. NOL is a surprise for me. Cahalane is stickier. TOM is not a surprise - we need his abrasiveness on the field... he's a better forward for me but lads saying he's not a defender is mental - he has played more at 6 than anywhere else for his club and he was one of Cork's best players at 5 in 2021.

Coleman is surely an injury lads is it? He did well in the second half in midfield last Sunday, I was looking forward to him playing a full game from that position and being able to pick out Connolly / Barrett with his passing.

Zero surprise on Hoggie and Harnedy - (while I don't agree) they were always going to be picked, hopefully they can show they still have what it takes. Hoggie plays well against these lads usually... one of our better performers in the league up there.

I think we're going to get a massive response from this team on Sunday. However, you could have anyone's 15 out there (and clearly there's about 40 versions of that) and they're still not as strong as Clare are right now. We'll need Clare to underperform if we are to win, but they've shown a tendency to do just that plenty of times over the last couple of years.

Lastly, I hope the support is better than it was last week. We had 50% of the crowd down in Waterford but not a peep all day... and the amount of muppetts that got up and started leaving 5 minutes early were an absolute embarassment.. some of them had to cheek to stop after Connolly's goal and then stand there blocking the view of everyone who was watching the game until the end. A fiery noisy Cork crowd will have a big impact. Win our home games and we're good to go.
🤔
Is Cahalane suspended having been sent off last weekend?

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Cork's Primetime Comedy Show
The Roundy, Castle St.

22nd Jun 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

The Big Swinin' Mikeys

Dwyers Of Cork, Today @ 7pm

More events ▼