Cork u20 Hurling 2024

William Buckley would get eaten alive in senior, I think the lack of physicality will be an issue for him going forward.

However, there are some huge men in that under 20 team, you can see the s&c having it's effect.
Great also to see so many of last years minors stepping up, augurs well for next year and the year after.
If William Buckley is selected full-forward like he was last Sunday he is likely to struggle physically but he is an out-field player, elusive as an eel and skillful with lightning pace. Didn't he score 7 points v KK playing out-field a few weeks back? He was MOM in the 2021 AI Minor final and also in the 2023 U-20 final. Wouldn't he be doing S&C just like the 'huge men' you refer on the U-20 team, I believe Buckley is a superior hurler to these 'huge men', Darragh O'Sullivan is likewise.

If William Buckley is selected full-forward like he was last Sunday he is likely to struggle physically but he is an out-field player, elusive as an eel and skillful with lightning pace. Didn't he score 7 points v KK playing out-field a few weeks back? He was MOM in the 2021 AI Minor final and also in the 2023 U-20 final. Wouldn't he be doing S&C just like the 'huge men' you refer on the U-20 team, I believe Buckley is a superior hurler to these 'huge men', Darragh O'Sullivan is likewise.
Way superior . If he got on the same balls against Kilkenny Kingston had they were points at least . Screeny played against Kilkenny last weekend. I’m looking at this lost tbh . Not one of an all Ireland minor team on the senior team already . Joyce and Downey were on it at this age. Very strange tbh. He’s a class act and best player in Ireland for his age .

Blackajam

Cork selectors are not just conservative, they are downright poor. If players aren't naturally big they believe like Conor Counihan that these players require 3 to 4 years of S&C before they play senior and all it does is bore them to hell waiting for their chance and they quit like Brian O'Sullivan last year and Blake Murphy this week. Adam Screeney and Dan Rainhill are the same age as William Buckley and they play constantly for the Offaly seniors like Charlie Mitchell did last year and he's now really benefiting this year. As you state Buckley would have scored quite a few of KIngstons chances v KK. Cork are really going nowhere in both codes unless the mentality of managements change and selectors simply cop on fast. They are all obsessed with.S&C and are overlooking the skills and bread & butter of the game.

Last edited:
How did he get on? What about against Wexford?
Don't think he played against Waterford.
One point from play in each match. I saw an interesting debate between two KK fans about whether he got the better of Butler.

I go back and forth about whether the likes of Buckley and Healy should be with the seniors, even just getting a few minutes here and there. I can see them benefitting from the exposure, but there are a lot of other players who need game time and who are better set to challenge for a place if they hit form, because physically they are at that level or close to it. For instance, I like Coleman at 7 but right now I'd rather see him played as a third midfielder than Buckley. Likewise Cunningham badly needs game time, as does Barrett if only to get a couple of scores to settle him down.

Im old enough to remember Tony O Sullivan playing aged 19 in the 1982 final. He took such a battering that day that it took him almost 2 years to recover his form. There is no need for Buckley

I am not questioning his ability as a hurler but I am questioning if he has the physicality to play against senior inter county defenders.
William Buckley is not a big man and he never will be unless part of the s&c you refer to relates to being stretched on the rack.
It is simply a fact that in the modern senior inter county game that size and physicality are the norm. I think this is a pity but I believe it to be a fact.

Maybe the game will evolve again when this era of hurling has passed to allow less physical players have a greater involvement but that certainly is not the case at present.
I think it takes most under 20 players a couple of years to further develop physically to be able to play regularly at senior and this is true even for the bigger lads then you can see the challenge for smaller players.

I am not questioning his ability as a hurler but I am questioning if he has the physicality to play against senior inter county defenders.
William Buckley is not a big man and he never will be unless part of the s&c you refer to relates to being stretched on the rack.
It is simply a fact that in the modern senior inter county game that size and physicality are the norm. I think this is a pity but I believe it to be a fact.

Maybe the game will evolve again when this era of hurling has passed to allow less physical players have a greater involvement but that certainly is not the case at present.
I think it takes most under 20 players a couple of years to further develop physically to be able to play regularly at senior and this is true even for the bigger lads then you can see the challenge for smaller players.
If Ben O’Connor chose hurling would you think he’d struggle physically? Obviously hard to know in a hypothetical situation

If Ben O’Connor chose hurling would you think he’d struggle physically? Obviously hard to know in a hypothetical situation
I don't think so - but he's obviously an exceptional case. How many 20-year-okd hurlers would be able to cope with the physical demands of playing international underage rugby?

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Undertones
Cyprus Avenue, Caroline St.

19th Dec 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Maicn

Fred Zeppelins, Today @ 8pm

More events ▼