Appalling Sound in St. Lukes funded by City Hall

Gigs in St. Lukes can look amazing. The space is conducive to great lighting effects. These Cathedrals evolved to cause awe and to mystify. The Acoustics is a large part of that. Old Latin or Irish sounds great if you don't need to hear the actual words. Choral and Organ Music work well too, they are written for such spaces. But Amplified Music and Drums don't work at all. The Richard Thompson Trio were utterly inaudible. Damien Dempsey..... not a word. Afaik City Hall is funding this Venue. This seems unfair to all the other Venues who pay Rates to the same Council.

Gigs in St. Lukes can look amazing. The space is conducive to great lighting effects. These Cathedrals evolved to cause awe and to mystify. The Acoustics is a large part of that. Old Latin or Irish sounds great if you don't need to hear the actual words. Choral and Organ Music work well too, they are written for such spaces. But Amplified Music and Drums don't work at all. The Richard Thompson Trio were utterly inaudible. Damien Dempsey..... not a word. Afaik City Hall is funding this Venue. This seems unfair to all the other Venues who pay Rates to the same Council.
The Sound quality in the venue is dependent on where you are sitting, if you are in the middle it can be pretty good, at the sides or the back it can be awful. I show up early to ensure I get the good spots.

It's a brilliant venue and we're damn lucky to have it here in Cork in a time where music venue's are few and far between in this country.

Also it's run by The Good Room production company possibly with some funding from the arts council.

Neither have anything to do with City Hall.

Last edited:
The Sound quality in the venue is dependent on where you are sitting, if you are in the middle it can be pretty good, at the sides or the back it can be awful. I show up early to ensure I get the good spots.

It's a brilliant venue and we're damn lucky to have it here in Cork in a time where music venue's are few and far between in this country.

Also it's run by The Good Room production company possibly with some funding from the arts council.

Neither have anything to do with City Hall.
So the Sound is awful at the sides and the back, but OK in the middle. 60-70% Awful. So awful at Richard Thompsons gig that it has become a legendary example of Cathedral Swimming Pool Cacophony. The Church is in the care of Cork City Council. The big 365/24/7 Bills..... i.e. Maintenance, Insurance, Heating, are covered by the tax payer. There are way better venues for that size of audience. Professionally run by people in the open market, who have to pay ALL the bills, including Rates to The City Council.... e.g. The Pav, Cyprus Avenue. St. Lukes is not a viable Venue. Bad Sound. Utter waste of Tax Payers Money. Detrimental to the Real Venues.

So the Sound is awful at the sides and the back, but OK in the middle. 60-70% Awful. So awful at Richard Thompsons gig that it has become a legendary example of Cathedral Swimming Pool Cacophony. The Church is in the care of Cork City Council. The big 365/24/7 Bills..... i.e. Maintenance, Insurance, Heating, are covered by the tax payer. There are way better venues for that size of audience. Professionally run by people in the open market, who have to pay ALL the bills, including Rates to The City Council.... e.g. The Pav, Cyprus Avenue. St. Lukes is not a viable Venue. Bad Sound. Utter waste of Tax Payers Money. Detrimental to the Real Venues.
Are you trying to tell me 60-70% of the audience sit at the back and sides? you would be wrong, more like 80% sit in the center section.

I know the guys who are running it but maybe you could be correct on the council providing some funding, I'll take your word for it but to it's detrimental to other venues is simply incorrect.

The Pav isn't a venue anymore it's a late Bar and Cypress Avenue is doing just fine. St Lukes is a brilliant venue and not a waste of any money and I think this is proven by the numbers of people consistently showing up for gigs.

If you don't like it then don't go but plenty of other people do like it.

Are you trying to tell me 60-70% of the audience sit at the back and sides? you would be wrong, more like 80% sit in the center section.

I know the guys who are running it but maybe you could be correct on the council providing some funding, I'll take your word for it but to it's detrimental to other venues is simply incorrect.

The Pav isn't a venue anymore it's a late Bar and Cypress Avenue is doing just fine. St Lukes is a brilliant venue and not a waste of any money and I think this is proven by the numbers of people consistently showing up for gigs.

The Pav is still a venue. I was at a gig there a few weeks ago.

Otherwise - yes indeed.

You know the People running it and you claim it is a Brilliant Venue with an audience centre area which is bigger than the L side, Right side, and Back side, combined. No Bias there then. You admit the sound is awful but claim that is location specific. You cannot know this unless you check all the different locations during the same gig. You didn't do that. Many many people talk about the appalling sound there, which IMO is dependent on the type of music. Drums are Disaster in a Swimming Pool Cathedral. I know people running the Real Venues. They are very pissed off that City Hall is providing a Free Lunch to this one. People come to see popular acts, that is not an endorsement of the Cathedral as a Venue. Chances are St. Lukes can pay these Acts more because of that Free Lunch.

You are wasting your time arguing with DanDan, he has a huge chip on his shoulder about the Cork City Council and every thing they do, good or bad. He is basically Victor Mildrew and consistently spams the CA forum with his nonsense and regularly gets his arse handed to him. :lol!:

Last edited:
Never been to a gig at LASL. Unfortunately, there's never been anything on in there that's appealed to me. Maybe I'm wrong, but It looks like a lot of what's in there is geared towards the casual music fan. But good luck to them.

Cork could do with a decent 150 to 200 capacity venue for smaller indie/underground acts and new local talent. It's a shame The Kino didn't remain a venue.
Was also at a gig in The Pav recently. The first time in there for about 10 or more years.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Lee Sessions Trad Trail
The Gables, Douglas St.

29th May 2024 @ 9:30 pm
More info..

Centre Stage School Footworks 2024

Cork Opera House, Today @ 6pm

More events ▼